Negative angles for roofs

Kool Aid

Question

Once again, I lost a prospective user because of the McMansion -myopia of NNA.

It is not possible to design flat roofs with VW with any ease (not even with 3D-snapping) since roof faces still cannot have a negative angle.

For the information of NNA: in many countries flat roofs are the standard and even in Finland, at least the top levels of multi-storey car parks have flat roofs. There are places and situations where a flat roof is used as a rain water collector. And so on.

No, it can't be flat-flat: there needs to be drainage. That needs to be at least notionally shown in sections.

19 answers to this question

Another method to create the subtracting object:

- Create a Roof object with the slope you want from a 2D Polygon.

- Convert it to a Group and Ungroup it to the Roof Face objects..

- Select all of the Roof Face objects and Convert them to a Mesh.

- In a Front View Rotate the Mesh object through 180?.

- In a Top/Plan View mirror the Mesh Object (If you have done this correctly the Mesh object will coincide with the original polygon).

All you need to do then is elevate the Mesh object relative to the 3D roof extrusion and do the Solid Subtraction.

All these are horrible ? but oh so typical - workarounds! I can't tell a prospective user, who is looking at ArchiCAD, Revit & VW, to do things like that.

OK. Rolled my own. Here's the prototype. In hindsight, the approach is better as the roof is created from arbitrary triangles, with drain where-ever, as in reality.

Another method to create the subtracting object:

- Create a Roof object with the slope you want from a 2D Polygon.

- Convert it to a Group and Ungroup it to the Roof Face objects..

- Select all of the Roof Face objects and Convert them to a Mesh.

- In a Front View Rotate the Mesh object through 180?.

- In a Top/Plan View mirror the Mesh Object (If you have done this correctly the Mesh object will coincide with the original polygon).

All you need to do then is elevate the Mesh object relative to the 3D roof extrusion and do the Solid Subtraction.

How about create a roof object with the slope you want... place in class1

Group it.

Duplicate it in place.

Convert the duplicate to 3d ploy's and place in class2

Mirror it in front view.

Now you have an inverted copy of the roof object.

You can recreate the inverted copy from the initial roof object fairly easily since both a positive slope roof and a negative slope roof look the same in plan.

Edited by brudgers

I think there are two main points to this topic: 1) We would all really like the ability to use negative slope values for roofs and roof faces; 2) Even so, there are a few ways to accomplish the task in a relatively pain free fashion. I would contend that although #1 shows a lack of functionality, #2 shows a great deal of versatility. For me it's an acceptable balance for the time being.

Kool Aid: I ask again, have you posted this to the wishlist? I can do it if you want, but it might be better received from you!

P

I'm sure that 99% of members understood that the reference was to your ?solution?.

My tool will, when finalised, to be extremely useful. As my tools always are.

I doubt 99% of members have read the post.

But I understood your comment as refering to my solution as well.

However, my post was related to the proposed workaround with the goal of producing similar results more quickly.

Never would I imagine that anyone's post (let alone mine) has met your requirements.

I'm almost there. Now I can have either a traditional, ventilated flat roof or a reversed one (eg. trafficable roofs).

Turns out that creation of the roof segments this way is acceptably fast: draw a line, move a point.

So, my wish has been granted! (Well, the actual wish still is ungranted and pending, but I have a solution to the problem at hand.)

flatroofsectionfinal.png

Here's another workaround, which suggests how a negative slope roof tool ought to work:

1. start with 3d loci.

2. Create a site model.

3. Use "create 3d mesh solid."

4. Create a snapshot.

5. convert snapshot to 3d polys.

6. Ungroup

7. create solid addition from 3d polys.

8. create solid subtraction from solid addition when plan is concave.

Editing the site model loci and modifying the solid subtraction are fairly trivial because you have the site model as a control structure.

Edited by brudgers