Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

BBEDIT has saved me hours.

Assembly

I've recently discovered the benefits of using BBEDIT and the $INCLUDE function. Thought I would share it for those new to scripting.

If your new to scripting I highly recommend you check out BBEDIT.

BBEDIT is a text editor. It has Vector-script functions included, as you start typing a procedure name it will give you a pop up of the functions available with a quick insert. Recognized procedures text is displayed blue. 'String' text is pink. This helps avoid those small syntax mistakes that can break a code and take hours to find.

http://www.barebones.com/products/bbedit/

For the average scripter, the free TextWrangler should be enough. (I find the HTML-focus of BBEdit a bit of a distraction.)

There is a very good VS language module for TW by Orso available from VectorLab.

While we are it: one of the advantages of this genre is that they can keep any number of back-ups in a single folder. Multi-file searches are also fast and efficient.

I used TextWrangler for many moons, it's good.

I recommend anyone semi serious about scripting trying the 1 month free trial of BBEdit. The auto text prompt in BBedit makes a huge difference.

After my BBEdit trial finished I went back to TextWrangler... after 5mins my card was out and I was back on BBEdit.