Quicktime VR and Vista 64 bit

Well, you are on 64bit XP. Is there one? Where did you install yours from?

The original disk...that's why I recommended it.

I've had problems with other versions under 32bit XP and x64.

In my opinion, quicktime was never really intended as the basis for a CAD program...or rather it hasn't reaaly been intended for such use since the Clinton administration.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

There is indeed a problem with the Quicktime Player application on Vista 64-bit. It doesn't work to view QTVR files. The files are exported correctly from Vectorworks on a Vista 64-bit OS though. The QTVR problem is limited to Apple's player application on Vista 64-bit.

HTH

Dave

Could you briefly comment on how much reliance Vectorworks has on Quicktime, especially regarding within a Windows environment?

ie. Is Quicktime being used as standard drawing functions as well its animation capabilities, or are drawing functions handled by the raw Windows API, albeit possibly some middleware to provide consistency between the Windows and Mac environments.

I appreciate that it may well be commercially sensitive information, but even if it was something along the lines as to whether Quicktime is extensively used or not would be useful to know.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Quicktime is used mainly for image file importing and exporting (to handle the conversion of all the different image formats) and the movie exports, naturally.

Vectorworks uses native OS drawing calls (GDI/GDI+ and OpenGL) on Windows so no, QT is not used for that.

We also use it still for some MacOS resource file handling but that is being retired over time.

HTH,

Quicktime is used mainly for image file importing and exporting (to handle the conversion of all the different image formats) and the movie exports, naturally.

Vectorworks uses native OS drawing calls (GDI/GDI+ and OpenGL) on Windows so no, QT is not used for that.

Thankyou and very helpful.

I guess from this we can deduce that if there is an on screen glitch, its going to have nothing to do with the Quicktime. I know of quite a few people who blame VW screen issues on its use of Quicktime and the conflict between Quicktime version as tested and shipped with VW, and that that is rolled out with many iTunes updates which prompts the first use warning.