Marquee/Fence Tool

VincentCuclair

Question

What we need is a powerful multifunctional marquee/fence tool. At the moment i use the VectorBits stretch tool http://www.vectorbits.com/VectorBits/vectorbits/Entradas/2008/4/24_Strech.html, which is excellent! however it can be far more flexible and more diverse.

VectorBits works like this: Draw a fence and stretch/move everything that is on/in the fence by a certain distance.

Capabilities we need native:

- Draw a Fence by rectangle, polygon, lasso or 'flood area'.

- Select all objects in/ in and on/ outside the Fence

- Stretch(move) objects/walls/symbols/plug-ins crossing/inside the fence. Including stretching window/door widths etc. in the same instance.

- Clip Copy/Delete/Move fence contents including walls/symbols/plug-ins etc. (with the option of making everything 2D/lines)

- Hide/Grey objects in /in and on/ outside the Fence.

- Create Viewport using Fence area.

- Render Fence area (only).

Edited by Vincent C

11 answers to this question

No there isn't and yes there is! :)

Raymond is a workaholic and spends unbelievable amounts of time keeping Reshaper in tip top condition and listening to every suggestion Users offer him, but unfortunately doesn't have the time to show the world just how incredible his little Plug-in really is.

i think Ray will approve of me saying, just send an email and ask what ever you feel you need to, then sit back and wait.

Definitely the BEST TOOL In THE BOX!!

:)

I just received the Reshaper 14 demo, installed it and ...... don't understand very much :(

Am i missing something? All it 'seems' to be is an extended OIP?! I'm not sure how it compares to the 'extended' Stretch tool ie: http://www.vectorbits.com/VectorBits/vectorbits/Entradas/2008/4/24_Strech.html i described earlier? All i can get it to do is manipulate one selected object? Please help, what am i missing?

My mistake, Ray's Tool does only work with one object at a time but seeing the movie i thought you'd be able to make use of it. Seeing the lengthening of the individual walls, figured this might help.

If the Stretch function is exactly what you need then go for that one.

Don't give up on it though. Reshaper is a fantastic tool and you will find it is an essential part of VW once you start to use it, i'm just sorry it doesn't appear to be what you were searching for.

Like Mike says the standard VW Reshape tool does what you need you just may have to involve the Move Command and 1st select the objects you wish to extend as well if you need accurate adjustments on several items, but it'll work.

OK, then i understand :) . I've always liked the OIP function in VW and seeing Reshaper basically builds on this, it is indeed a usefull add-on, I'll practice with the demo and get a better understanding of it and its capabilities. Thanks for the tip anyway Andi, any plug-ins that make the job easier, faster and more flexible are always interesting.

If the Stretch function is exactly what you need then go for that one.

The advantage of a stretch function that stretches multiple objects including PIOs (i'm sure you'll agree :) ) is that it saves an incredible amount of time, especially when PIOs are involved. Unfortunately the VectorBits tool doesn't do this (yet) and that is mainly what i'm looking for. Perhaps an enlightened soul will come up with a solution soon.

Think you're right there. It'll take a brave soul to attack VW PIO's.

Raymond has described a few of the difficulties presented that VectorScriptors can face in trying to get VW to do what they want it to do. It includes a lot of running round in circles, as i understand it and a few dead ends.

So don't hold your breath for too long, just breath deeply. Oh, and maybe look for a workaround, just for the time being. :)

Contact Raymond if anything needs explaining, he's very helpful. If i can i'll try to, just drop me a line . . . .