Wall Framer Should be Part of the Wall

Jonathan Pickup

Question

5 answers to this question

How is it so? I thought you only needed to click on the menu command to create it. At least that was the intention when it was developed; to frame the walls and add other wall components once the final design was completed. The concept was driven by the desire to obtain a more accurate list of materials.

How is it going to be different framing one wall at a time than all of them at the end?

the problem is that the wall framer does not recognise structural and non structural components. Vectorworks needs to to able to frame just the structural part.

as well as wall framing, can't we have blockwork and brickwork created for sections.

for a long time other CAD programs have been able to show siding or block in line form on the elevations. we can't. we should have this.

the problem is that the wall framer does not recognise structural and non structural components

This would only be true for a post and beam structure but not a traditional stud with top and bottom plates. The framing of an external wall is all structural with this type of construction. If an interior wall is non-bearing, then the components may all be non-structural. If there is a post to hold the upper structure in the interior wall, then this would be the only structural component.

can't we have blockwork and brickwork created for sections

This should be a separate function for masonry construction. NNA should be able to implement this by replacing the code in wall framer with masonry material.

for a long time other CAD programs have been able to show siding or block in line form on the elevations. we can't. we should have this.

I agree. If the wall tool is modified to include the components as material instead of just class and line work, this information would be available to draw the section with the components.

Ability to edit quickly?

Christian,

I was just curious about the creation, because it was developed as a one click command. Since I do not have VWA, I lost touch on how NNA adapted this feature into the program. I only saw the literature when wall framer was added to VWA.

The original program created the components as mesh objects rather than extrudes to facilitate edits for non-standard conditions.