Sign in to follow this  
archturn

properly orienting wood textures

Hi Archturn,

The way I rotate textures which is more easy and quick for me is by selecting the texture, under the textures tap in the info box select mapping, in this box you are able to rotate the texture by any degree angle you want in addition I frequently use the scale feature to re size the textures appropriately.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

Yes. Some textures are rotatable and some not. One possible solution is to export (or capture) the image, rotate it in a photo editor (photoshop, preview, whatever) then use the rotated image to create a new texture.

Archturn,

Additionally, for those who might not be aware, when needing to use one of those pesky unrotatable textures, the creation of extruded objects can determine the texture orientation.

A 4x6 extruded to 30 will map differently than a 6x30 extruded to 4. This latter method will usually orient wood grain parallel to the length (30).

Sorry I can't recall how they map to Extrudes Along A Path.

Please advise if I am wrong about this with v2009.

Bradley

Check out www.cgtextures.com for additional wood textures and for tutorials about evening colors of the texture map as your wood texture is a bit uneven in color. It should help in the tiling of the texture.

Hope that helps,