Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Script "Get symbol Name"

Good evening,

What I would like to do is, have a script that retrieves the symbol name and applies it to a record field, Does any one have such a script created?

What I am trying to do:

Working on a detail library and I would like for there to be text in the symbol that refers to the name of the symbol, so graphically when printed the name is given.

Thanks,

What I would like to do is, have a script that retrieves the symbol name and applies it to a record field, Does any one have such a script created?

What I am trying to do:

Working on a detail library and I would like for there to be text in the symbol that refers to the name of the symbol, so graphically when printed the name is given.

Thanks,

Fair enough, but I'm not at all sure if this is a productive approach. Records and linked text are intended to be used for dynamic data (ie. that which may change between instances of the symbol.) The symbol name shoud, I think, be just static text.

There's no added value in having that in a record and in addition, one could inadvertently change it.

It is doable & quite easy, but since you have to create the linked text in each symbol definition (even with copy & paste), you won't save much time. Well, unless the relative location of the label is identical in which case the same script could create the linked text, too.

Finally, linked text does not wrap so with long symbol names there may be problems.