Stair tool

Andrew Mac

Has anyone encounter an issue with the stair not showing up correctly when -say for example I draw a stairs that I check over all height by elevation layer- so I need to draw the stair only once on the lower floor. Well when I go to see a top plan view of the upper floor in a sheet layer- the stair is distorted and is not accurately represented - has this happened to anyone else before- There seems to be a partial fill in the distorted stair

The short answer is yes!

The longer answer is, though there is the possibility you don't have your settings correct, that I and many others, do not recommend using the stair tool period.

The long answer is that I've tried to use the stair tool on three projects over the course of six months and it only helped me to get a few more gray hairs. The problems I encountered were the stairs changing to text in 2d (They literally went from a stair symbol to text), their attributes became connected (I would edit one stair and another one would change as well), I would also assign all parts there proper class to texture accordingly but would have parts not show the proper texture, etc. Note worthy however, is that I was just told that the older stair tool (Around 12.5 and earlier I think) had less features but was more reliable.

Stairs generally work fine for me. I am lucky that my bldgs generally do not have

a lot of stair runs, as I make a new stair each time fresh from the stair tool (rather than duplicating an existing stair that is already on the drawing).

What service pack are you on? You should be on SP3.

You can also use the "Fix Stair Associations" script. Worked for me when I needed it.

http://www.vectorwiki.org/index.php?title=Fixing_Stairs_with_Upper/Lower_Component_Problems