Can't modify symbol without losing wall wraps?

I want to wrap the finish components of a wall into the jamb.

I inserted the door PIO, adjusted the settings as needed, it looks fine.

Made a symbol of the PIO for use elsewhere, still looks fine.

Spread the symbol all over the project, then needed to make a change.

Ooops.

Entering the symbol to make any change including color, size, or class eliminates the wall wraps.

The only way to edit the symbol instances seems to be to create a new symbol and manually replace each instance of the old one.

I see your problem. I guess it could be considered a bug, but is probably just an unintended consequence.

In order to be able to calculate how to "wrap" the components, the door needs to get information from the wall it is in.

When the door is inside a symbol, when it goes to get the components, it does not find them because it is not a Door in Wall, so it does not show the wraps even though it did originally.

Another possible work around is to duplicate the Symbol in Wall and Convert to Plug-In Object. Make the changes to the PIO. Cut the PIO. Edit the symbol and delete the door. Paste in the Door PIO you adjusted and Move it so the Insertion Point of the PIO matches with the insertion point of the Door.

This will get you a symbol with the settings you need without having to manually change a bunch of symbols.

Better would be for NNA to smarten the PIO so that if its parent is a symbol, see if that symbol is in a Wall and use the Wall attributes.

You should probably submit it as a bug.

Pat

Pat,

I had tried your workaround- as soon as the updated new PIO is pasted into the symbol space, its wraps disappear.

I also tried creating a new symbol, saving it as the same name as the old, to "write over" and replace the old, but that just corrupted the old ones...

I know the PIO needs to reach out and feel the wall to get the wraps correct, but it doesn't seem necessary for them to go away when things unrelated to the wrap are changed.

Mike,

Indeed.

I rarely use wraps at openings, or even walls with components to wrap, so making PIO's into symbols is generally an efficient way to spread doors and windows around, edit them, and manage extra bits of geometry I might need to add.

Except when it doesn't work.

Bug report on the way...