2009 Screen Resolution

nlBabcock

Question

Vectorworks recommends that your screen resolution be 1024 x 768. With this resolution on my machine and monitor the font/icon size is huge and everything has a slight blur to it. Also, squares and circles do not appear as their true shape due to the fact that I have a wide screen monitor. BUT if you set your resolution higher VW's is crashing my entire system. I am able to set the resolution up to 1680 x 1050 (this is 8 steps higher than the 1024 x 768). This resolution change was done earlier this week. I found that my entire operating system was crashing when I would zoom into a polyline, on the line or corner. After much digging and trying to figure out why this would possibly be happening our tech guy finally realized that it was the screen resolution that was crashing the computer. My wish would be that Vectorworks would run on a screen resolution that lets objects appear their actual shape and you not have to have a huge font/icons. If there is a way around this please, please let me know.

Nicole

8 answers to this question

Vectorworks runs fine with higher resolutions. I run it all the time on various macs (both G4 and Intel) at 1280x760 and 1440 x 900 resolution with no problem. It has to be something else in your system.

Try creating a new clean user/account with no added features and see if VW runs at the higher resolution there.

Have you tried different files? What about a new clean file? Where did the files come from? Did they start in VW2009 or something earlier?

Have you repaired permissions (Disk Utility) recently?

Pat

We have tried it all.

-I can recreate the problem with and new blank document that I draw two rectangles in. If I zoom in a lot on the line or corner the entire system locks up for a few seconds and then crashes.

-I have tried at least 3-4 different files it crashes them all.

-The files were originally from VW2008, I opened the file and saved it with the new name as VW2009 asks you to do. I have then copied all of the information over off this file and into a new/blank file. I have now done this for (3) projects. (That is a lot of lost time...)

-I ran the permissions (Disk Utility) on Wednesday and everything came back fine.

-I have the problem narrowed down to being when I zoom in by scrolling with my mouse wheel into a polyline either on the line or corner. It has to be a polyline. On Monday, my resolution was changed to be higher. I think that I was working at 1280 x 800 before the change.

-I am on 10.4.11 version of Mac, there is another machine in the office that is running 10.4.9 and I cannot recreate the issue on his machine his resolution is 1152 x 870.

-Tech support at Vectorworks had me reboot my computer in "safe boot" and run vectorworks that way and it did not crash.

-Our tech guy figured out that the error message was pointing to the video card and reset my resolution and since then it seems to be working fine.

I am at a major loss, and I have lost almost an entire weeks work time trying to figure out whatever this problem is. Please help if you have any new ideas.

Nicole

"Vectorworks recommends that your screen resolution be 1024 x 768."

Vectorworks doesn't recommend that as the resolution, and doesn't care what your resolutions is, that is just the minimum size monitor recommended.

What is the brand/model of the monitor?

If it is an lcd monitor it will have a native resolution and that is what you should use.

Have you tried updating your video drivers?

Nicole, NNA also recommends the use of 10.5. on their system requirements page, but i was using 2009 and 10.4.11 without too many troubles(well, a few, but nothing this drastic) but where 10.5 cures some it brings out others. But that's VW for you.

Swings and roundabouts!

It does sound like what Pat says though. Could be your GC has seen the best of it's days . . . . . . My G5 had to have a "Transplant" some time ago.

Thank you for the feed back. I will talk to our IT guy about running the Apple Hardware Diagnostics and updating the video drivers. I don't know what they all did while they were trying to figure out the issue.

The monitor is a Dell wide screen. I don't know what model number it is or where to find that info. Between all of your comments and the conversations that I have had with VW technical support it seems to possibly related to the wide screen aspect of my monitor, maybe... Everyone else seem to be able to use the highest and best resolution. Very frustrating on this end...

Thanks again for any and all ideas and info.

Nicole

i've got a cheap 27" Hanns-G screen, Nicole, and i just leave it on the standard setting for this monitor, but when i first got it and attached it to my G5, the VW files i opened on it were "Dwarfed" on it. That is to say, less than half of the screen was used by the VW window, no defect, just needed to expand the window and everything is as clear and crisp as a bell!!

Good luck sorting it.