How do you force a plant symbol to take on new edited attributes

Viper x

I have changed the line weight of the plant symbol I am using in a drawing by editing the symbol in the RB, this works for new plants I now put in the drawing but how do I force all the existing plants with this symbol to update ?

I have moved the symbol slightly but this has not worked.

I got it to work by going back into the symbol itself in the plant catalog and choosing the symbol again but this is very long process.

There must be a quick way of forcing all the symbols to change, yes ?

thanks

Unfortunately you can't. I have discussed this with with NNA. The problem is that whilst plants are symbols, the moment they are placed they cease to have a relationship with the parent symbol.

My personal belief is that plants, just as with real life, should be based on a hierarchy of properties, which includes graphic properties too. So if you edit the property of a parent, be it a symbol or another attribute, this can, if desired, be propagated through other plants that share the same property/symbol.

This would help manage plant symbol numbers, so for instance, you would not need two different plant symbols just because you used a slightly different variety.

I believe that it stems from the fact that you cannot resize symbols so when you create a new plant and set its size, it has to detach from the underlying plant symbol.

I personally would like to organise plants according to type ie shrubs, herbaceous, ferns, grasses, bamboos etc. I would have a different parent plant/symbol for each type. But I would like the ability that if I edited the plant symbol (or any other attribute), it could be reflected through all plants of the same type.