Objects in walls in VW 2009

In previous versions symbols in walls could not have re-entrant corners because the hole would ignore the concave part. In VW 2009 you can now make odd shaped windows and objects like the arrow slits in the images below, convert them to a symbol, edit the hole forming part and and these will then insert correctly into walls.

Mr Gog, each opening symbol has two parts. A 3D symbol part and the 3D wall hole forming outer shape.

The opening on the left has two symbol parts:

- A 3D symbol part consisting of an extrude which has had a series of spheres subtracted from it to create the scallops, and then chamfers applied to the hole straight edges.

- A 3D hole forming cross shape consisting of an extrude which extends right through the wall.

The opening on the right has two parts:

- A 3D symbol part consisting of the 2D shape converted to a 3D polygon and given no fill.

- A 3D hole forming shape consisting of the 2D shape extruded to extends right through the wall.

DWorks, corner windows are still a work around with the window PIO objects because:

- You can't drag the window to the wall corner and get the correct 2D appearance.

- The PIO doesn't have an option for different left and right jamb details.

You can certainly form holes in the ends of walls with the a symbol 3D hole part, so maybe it is possible to create your own hybrid corner window symbols (I haven't tried it).

Hopefully the next iteration of the door and window PIOs will provide corner options.

Edited by mike m oz

You can certainly form holes in the ends of walls with the a symbol 3D hole part, so maybe it is possible to create your own hybrid corner window symbols (I haven't tried it).

That's what I needed to know. I have my own pio's for windows and doors. But untill now, I needed to place them over the wall and reform the wall to get a hole.

So now I can put them in the wall, which will be much easier to handle.

Hybrid symbols that are insered into walls now have three parts;

- the 2D part visible in Top/Plan View.

- the 3D part visible in all 3D views.

- the 3D hole forming part.

The hole forming part is very flexible and can include tapers and the like. Some examples of what you can do are shown in the image below.

So know we now the new 3D part for walls.

But what with the 2D part? Is there changes also?

I want to know if the 2D hole you can make in a wall is still controlled with loci or with a poly (kinda like the 3D hole). This would be helpfull for making those holes with steps or niches look correct in 2D without doing workarounds.

And another thx for mike for providing those info to us. We all love you!

By using an appropriately shaped hole forming object you can actually make the wall taper. It loses its intelligence though and although you can then insert other objects into the wall and they will appear correct in 3D they don't in 2D.

One important feature of the new hybrid symbol behaviour is that during editing of one symbol part you can now move to the other symbol parts by right clicking. eg. if you are editing the 2D part you can move to the 3D part or the 3D hole part and then back again. Very neat.

Another very good improvement is the Gray other objects mode of Show other objects while in editing modes.

One important feature of the new hybrid symbol behaviour is that during editing of one symbol part you can now move to the other symbol parts by right clicking. eg. if you are editing the 2D part you can move to the 3D part or the 3D hole part and then back again. Very neat.

So if I read this correctly, symbols have now 3 modes: 2D, 3D and a 3D Hole? This will surely affect VS in the way you do this programmaticly.

Has anyone experiment with this one and are the changes to VS known?