Best way to create roof faces

CS1

Im curious as to how other people create their roof faces.

Currently I create my roof setting the "thickeness" as the total roof thickeness (include rafter depth, purlin depth and roofing depth) For exmaple with 290mm rafters, 45mm purlins and 20mm roofing I would set my roof to 355mm thick.

This works OK for my Cross Sections but looks wrong in the model and elevations since the rafters are cut down to 90mm at the soffits giving a much smaller facia depth.

This means for the elevations I need to do a lot of tracing over with solid white line to hide the areas I dont want to see.

I started wondering how tricky it would be to set the roof thickeness to suit the total depth of the roof at the soffits and adjust the "axis Z" accordingly, I think this would work for the elevations and model but wouldnt work for the cross sections.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I model each component seperately in their own respective class within the roof layer so that I can cover the display of elevations and sections appropriately. This takes a little more time on the front end but saves time in marking up viewports. Viewports get a little clunky when there is alot of 3D objects to display so the less time I spend working with them the better. It's much easier to work on an "active only" class speeding up the front end draw time.

Pete A