Resource Browser: better meta data support

Christiaan

Question

I'd desperately like better support of meta data for all resources in the Resource Browser.

One aspect of this might be the addition of "origin" and "usage guidelines" data fields to every single resource in the RB (or maybe the ability to add whatever meta data fields you like).

The other aspect would be the display of this information (nicely formatted) using the mouse-over interface, as currently used to display the full name of a resource.

5 answers to this question

Hi Christiaan.

Forgive my ignorance, but how would this effect use of the RB in VW? Yes, there is ALWAYS a space for improvement in VW(particularly the resource browser) and i know tons of meta info is available/used/ and the basis of much of what goes on in 3D modeling/animation apps, but how can i benefit directly from this extra info in the RB.

Sorry to be a pain, but age creeping on tends to mean i sometimes forget where i left my Geek hat. :)

No, fair question Andi. Sometimes I wonder when I forgot about plain language and started talking like a geek!

This suggestion would deal with the problem Chris D outlines in this post:

http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98481#Post98481

When a user looks through the RB for resources there is no information about where that resource came from, what it's for and how to use is correctly.

To overcome this problem Chris D (and now myself) and others (including NNA themselves, see Wall Styles for instance) lay resources out on Design Layers so users can browse them and read any info relating to them.

My suggestion aims do away the need for this workaround.

Thanx Chris,

that really makes sense. i mostly use "home built" symbols so i know what they're for/from/do, but a lot of the VW stuff provided leaves you wondering.

i 2nd your motion.

BTW the "Geek Factor" remark wasn't aimed directly at you, just sometimes i can't keep up with all that appears herein. Jeez, there's a lot of VW i don't use because it just complicates matters, but i find a lot of subjects are well covered here and clears up some things.