Rotating Textures RW 12.5

I have finally gotten a handle on importing and manipulating textures. Also, the image prop. (VW12.5 w RW)

I am having problems rotating textures, (ie: making my woodgrain vertical). I have followed the manuals and can get to the "mapping" tool but the rotate feature is greyed out. I found that it does not work in "perimeter" mode and have tried all the others.

I can click on Other buttons for manipulation but they flash and nothing happens.

I hope I am just missing a simple solution here.

As usual I rely on your help and can't say enough about how helpful you guys n gals are.

Thanks Ray,

I did as you you said as was amazed that it worked on first try

BUT THEN...That was it. I couldn't do it again.I tried the same texture, different textures etc., even different drawings and can't get it to work again.

Not only is the "rotate" tool greyed out but most of the tools.

So what I am getting is sometimes it works and sometimes not. I have tried to figure out if I am doing anything diff. each time.

The wierd thing is that sometimes in the "mapping" window I can get my preview to show rotated but when I go back to my rendering it hasn't rendered...YES, I click "update" or whatever other command depending on window I am in.

According to the tutorial rotate won't work in "perimeter" mode but it did using your instructions.

It also says the texture must be "wrapped"..but again using your info it worked.

Am I doing something stupid here?

Do I have to be in a certain "VIEW" setting for this to work?

I am beginning to feel like a total idiot trying to follow what should be simple instructions.

Thanks.

I tried all the default RW wood textures. All behave as expected except Wood Yellow Birch Varnished which behaves as you report - Rotate unavailable. Scale is unavailable and changing map type produces little or no change. I will submit this as a bug.

For now, maybe you could choose a different woodgrain texture which does work, or create your own texture with a photo of some wood.

-B

Well, I have tried everything I can find.

Have read and re-read manual to no avail.(Vectorworks 3D Modelling and Rendering) by Resolve.

I am not only having problems with wood but even tried some vertical patterns (vertical stripes)and everything is still horizontal.

I would think that the default for "vertical stripes" would be vertical but it still shows up horizontal.

Anyway, I have tried the OBJECT INFO, the MAPPING, The Resource Browser etc.

Sometimes my preview window will change but not my actual darwing. (That's a whole other problem)

The confusing part is that now I am getting THE ROTATE tool but the texture won't rotate.

Also in the manual it says that the texture must be "WRAPPED".

The only wrap I can find is in the EDIT menu..."leather wrap, rough wrap ie:

Is there a tool somewhere that does this and more importantly do I need it as I have rotated a texture twice but just worked if it felt like it.

I don't have much hair left to pull out......

Ya, Brendan, post the file. Maybe it is something besides the texture.

I did submit the birch as a bug. Bug submit replies (!) that not all textures are created equal. So it's not a bug but rather an example of a texture type which has no mapping options. These NO Asterix Textures can only be manipulated to the extent of host object rotation, scaling etc.

That's fine, but I am bemused that all the default RW wood textures except the yellow birch varnished have mapping options. Even my home made textures have the options!

Here is the message and screen shot from Gunther at NNA (Thanks, Gunther!):

Hello Benson.

There are two different types of textures. Not all texture types can be modified. When you?re creating or editing a texture, you?ll likely see an, asterisk appear next to a texture?s name. This determines if the texture can be fully modified. See attached image and the circle help for better explanation.

Hope this helps.

Gunther

Hi, Brendan - I received the files via email. The wood texture (texture 4) is not one which has mapping controls. As you probably already found, grain scale and color can be modified in the texture Edit options (Resource Browser), but not grain direction. These edits will affect all objects with this texture.

Here are some solutions:

1. Build your cabinets with 3d polygon faces. Rotate and reshape the polys to rotate the grain. Grain rotates with the object. This does not affect grain direction in other objects.

2. Pick another texture with mapping. Mapping textues have an asterix in the texture name, Pine Board for example or several of the other woods.

3. Make a screen shot of a rendered Texture 4 polygon and use that to create a new RW texture of the Image Color or Filtered Image variety (mapping controls available).

To attach a file, click File Manager. In the new window, click Choose File and navigate to select a file. Click Add File and wait for it to load. Click Done adding files. You will not see the file in your post window, but the File Manager file count will update. Click Submit.

Good luck

Benson, Ray,

You guys are geniouses. I have been playing around with the rotate tool and different textures and I am in Heaven...(For Now)...LOL

Benson, most textures are working no problem.

I am still amazed that the textures we would need to rotate the most are the ones without the asterix. What were they thinking?.

I'll be sure to try the other options you gave me also.

While the manual might be technically correct it sure made me try a bunch of unecessary stuff. I was so frustrated. Obviously I have myself to blame by sticking with the same wood grains.

There is a lot more to this program than I expected so back to learning.

Thanks again for your help. I'll stop pulling my hair out for now. (Don't have that much anyway)

Brendan