Lable Legend/ Lighting Position-newb

I have two issues right now. When I try to create a label legend using a modified color blast, I can't get the fixture to appear when I go to edit the layout. If I do insert a fixture in the layout area, and align the info, the fixture in the drawing disappears as soon as I select the legend.

Second, when I set up a truss ring and convert it to a lighting position, it automatically groups everything, and all the position info disappears. However, if I insert 4 separate curved pieces of truss, everything is fine.

Any thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are asking...

1. You can select the fixture you want to appear when you first create the label legend. That fixture has to be a symbol fixture already in the Resource Browser. Go to the Label Legend Manager>Add. Select Choose under Lighting Instrument Layout Symbol and it will display all the lighting fixtures in that document's Resource Browser.

Once the legend is created, I don't think you can change the fixture for that legend - you have to start over with a new legend.

2. You're right, it doesn't like to convert a circlular truss rig into a lighting position. There have been a couple threads about the issues with using Trusses as Lighting Positions. Some people have a lot of success with it, but I usually create separate position objects and leave the trusses as trusses.

HTH

Michael

Regarding truss conversion, there have been a couple of really good threads on the Vectorworks - Theatre mailing list. You should be able to search the archives and find something. Although it is not heavily used, it is a wonderful companion to this message board!

HTH,

FWIW:

I found out how to change the symbol for a legend. It's really easy when you think about it...

Go into "Lable Legend Manager" and go to edit the layout. While there, select the symbol and click on "Replace" in the object info pallet.

Just basic VW methods.