Need Help Updating Light Info Records - Newbie question

JCS

Hi There - Using VW 2008 -

I am new to VW, long time ACAD user, accepting realities of the industry.

Anyway. I have a big light plot built, and all my lights are inserted as lighting objects. But it turns out, that only some of the symbols I was using had light info record information at the time they were inserted.

I edited the symbols - and filled in the Light Info Record field as described in the Help Menu.

But, that did not update the occurences of the symbols in the drawing.

The only way I can find to do this is by double clicking the unit - and pressing the "get data from symbol" button.

Do I really need to do this for each light??

I though if you edited a symbol - all occurences of that symbol in the drawing were updated? Does that not apply in this instance?

Is there another command I can use? Thanks so much.

JCS

Just a thought, take the symbols you did not have the records associated with and open a blank drawing and insert them in there. Then edit them. Be sure when you are in the edit window to not have anything selected. Check the lighting info record box and fill in as necessary. Go back and take those symbols and drop them in your big light plot. As long as you haven't changed the name a dialogue box should appear asking you if you want to replace that instance of the symbol. Say yes and they should all be updated. I am sure there are other ways, but that to me seems the safest and you don't really edit your big important light plot until the last step and can easily undo if that one step didn't do what you wanted.

Matt

If you export to Lightwright, and then import back into Vectorworks, all the info should update according to the Light Information Record after a refresh. Or you could quickly add the information in LW or indeed in Excel and then put it back into VW.

The LIR definitely doesn't auto update though - presumably because many of the fields are specific to each unit - channel, color, etc., etc..