Where is tool default class saved?

Thanks to Maarten & the following post, I've discovered that I can set the default class for any given tool (door, window, stair, etc.) This is another nail in the coffin for Auto-classing - which is fine with me.

My only question is, where is default class information saved? I'd like to make sure that it's being backed up. I'd also like to make sure that I can easily restore my settings if an update or other event wipes this information out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I'm not completly sure what you mean, but the default class of a tool is saved in the tool itself. So you have to backup your plugin folder. The one in your user folder (for the plug ins you made yourself) en the one in the apps folder (for the standard one of VW).

Edited by maarten.

I had this in my previous post, but for some reason it wouldn't show, so I cutted it out. But i uncluded an example, and it had some strange characters, so I'll try again, this time without example:

If you find a not-encrypted plug in, change it's class, and then open that plugin-file (the .vso file) with texteditor, you'll see the name of the class right after the line:

RUN(bla bla bla);

So i'm pretty sure the standard Class is saved within the plugin.

...I think it is saved in this file, SavedSettingsUser.xml

Nope. It looks like that file contains settings for DTM (what ever that is.)

I think that Maarten is right, the default class is saved in the plug-in itself.

I assume that this information could then be lost when updating VW (to SP4 for example.)

• 14 years later...
On 6/19/2008 at 1:28 AM, billtheia said:

Thanks to Maarten & the following post, I've discovered that I can set the default class for any given tool (door, window, stair, etc.) This is another nail in the coffin for Auto-classing - which is fine with me.

My only question is, where is default class information saved? I'd like to make sure that it's being backed up. I'd also like to make sure that I can easily restore my settings if an update or other event wipes this information out.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Can this be set for other 2d tools like polylines, circles etc?
If so how and which is the Marteen post you're referring too? (not been able to find it)