Deteriorated Internal Accuracy

Problems with reduced accuracy are usually caused by having layers with widely differing scales, or by objects in the drawing that are very far away from the origin.

Check your layers to see whether you have very different scales. Check for distant objects by zooming out as far as possible and choosing the Select All command, after which you should be able to see the selection handles on any very distant objects.

Hope that helps.

Caleb Strockbine

I have had a few drawings that with multiple scale layers, the program reports losses in internal accuracy, typically degrading from .000000 to as low as .00 , and actually had one drawing detonate( it corrupted after degrading to 1.0, choked itself and died) when I had a large radius object rendered and I cut the object.

Any one else have these troubles? Any Ideas on the cause, or prevention?

Oh, but 'corrupt' is such a strong word! Besides, nothing is really getting corrupted here, it's just that you're running into a natural limit. VectorWorks 8 represents the coordinates of objects using 32-bit numbers, and there's a tradeoff between large distances and great accuracy.

Anyway, calling it a limitation doesn't make it any less of a problem for you. Rest assured that we're well aware of the issue, and we'd like nothing more than to improve the situation.

Hope that helps...

Thanks, I was wondering if just those items could be the cause of the deteriorated accuracy levels. I generally draw complete jobs in a single file with a wide array of scales. I treat each layer as a page. Guess that isn't going to work anymore.

My opinion is that this is a detriment to usability. Differing scales on non-linked layers shouldn't corrupt accuracy.IMHO : )

Couldn't agree more with the issue of differing scales hampering the "precision".

Vectorworks' power over AutoCAD has always been the implied ease of use exampled by quickly setting your scale for each layer. When this turns into a trade off of precision the glory fades quite a bit methinks.

Many times I've snapped objects into their secure place next to each other from a distance only to find when cross-checked numbers aren't matching up, that when I zoom in, the points are not where the smartcursor told me they were.

Would a appreciate an extreme example from the creators showing the limitation of Vectorworks' precision. (don't worry...not going to stop buying the program or reccommending it)

Glad there's an awareness there, and also hope there's an awareness of the incredible limitition of not be able to end the label of symbols with the foot ' mark if one also wishes to harness the power of Vectorscript.

My thumb goes way down for this lack of precision. I'm always unpleasantly surprised how easily coordinates can fall off their original positions, like when a rectangle is rotated then rotated back. It's extremely annoying to see values like 3.99999 inches everywhere and layer heights like 1'-11.999998" and polygon vertices not lining up and weird stuff that happens when switching between feet and feet and inches.

------------------

Kenneth

• 4 weeks later...