Ability to create simple 2d DWG files

billtheia

Question

I frequently need to send 2d CAD backgrounds to engineers for their use as backgrounds and am growing tired of having to fix the darn things before I can send them.

VW's ability to move objects to front and back is great. It allows me to do things like hide the end of a staircase that goes beyond the end of the floor opening above it. Unfortunately, when I export to DWG, things are no longer hidden. If I export a simple 2d DWG file, the end of the staircase shows beyond the end of the stair opening so I have to open the file in ACAD and edit it so that it's correct. Similarly the riser lines for the stairs show despite the fact that I have unchecked "Draw Dashed Nosing Recess" in the stair settings.

Stairs are not the only place that this occurs. Any time I use a polygon to hide another object, the underlying object appears in the DWG file. This always happens in elevations and sections too.

We need some way to create a 2d dwg of what is shown on the screen so that we can exchange information with ACAD users without having to rework the file every time. Any time that I might save with VW's productivity enhancements goes out the window when I have to exchange information with an ACAD user especially if I go through several revisions.

VW boasts an ability to draw everything once and then publish several views. I find this to be generally true (and quite useful) EXCEPT when it comes to information exchange with non-VW users.

I am sure that concerns about information exchange with ACAD users is a limiting factor in VW adoption. I certainly thought long and hard about it when I was considering VW as an ACAD replacement. NNA says VW handles file interchange with ease but I'm not finding that to be true.

Please give us the ability to reliably and accurately create simple 2d DWG files that don't require re-work to make them look as they do in VW.

• Like 1

9 answers to this question

you should always check your outgoing drawings. even if you had perfect translations you should check what you are sending to a consultant. you might have turned a class off, sent the wrong drawings....

Man, doesn't anyone on this list recognize a little rhetorical license?

Of course you're right, Jonathan BUT I'd rather look for MY mistakes rather than VW's.

I also do the same thing except I make sure the dwg looks like the pdf. It's a lot of extra work sometimes. I find myself occasionally opting to use ACAD on some projects just to avoid any problems. At the very least, I simplify my VW drawings by not using features or drawing items that don't translate well. It kind of defeats the purpose of using VW but it saves me time in the long run. The last thing I need is for my client to feel like my files are difficult to work with.

I also do the same thing except I make sure the dwg looks like the pdf. It's a lot of extra work sometimes. I find myself occasionally opting to use ACAD on some projects just to avoid any problems. At the very least, I simplify my VW drawings by not using features or drawing items that don't translate well. It kind of defeats the purpose of using VW but it saves me time in the long run. The last thing I need is for my client to feel like my files are difficult to work with.

Exactly my point, Greg.

NNA says that VW can easily translate back and forth with ACAD but it's a little bit more hype than truth.

If we use VW like ACAD (just drawing lines,) drawings translate just fine but then what's the point of using VW? I could just use ACAD LT and avoid the whole issue.

We buy VW for it's productivity enhancements, we shouldn't have to leave them on the shelf just so that we can work with the rest of the world (ACAD.)