workspaces

maybe this was asked before, i couldn't find a topic discussing it.

i use a 15" mbpro laptop in conjunction with a 22" flat screen. i would like to have two versions of my workspace, one that fits well the 15" screen, another that works with a 22" screen. but workspaces don't seem to recall the positions of the palettes from session to session, particularly the 'constraints', 'attributes', 'object info', and 'navigation' ones.

what would be the way to work around the problem of different size screens and workspace layout in VW2008?

by the way, it would be nice to see the workspace editor improve a little in future versions of the program. i don't think it has evolved much in ages, and it was not amazing to start with: the window is not resizable, it is not clearly responsive when one wants to drag commands or tools, and the general criteria of how it works is not easily understandable to people who are new to the program, but at the same time is a critical feature for people coming from other cad programs wanting to soften the transition by personalizing the platform.

Edited by nicolas d

More simply, just create two versions of the same workspace. For example, I started by creating "AEC Pro -single 17" for my 17" MacBook Pro. Then, using the Workspace Editor I created a new copy called "AEC PRo -dual 30n17". When hooked up to my 30" Dell LCD I moved the palettes to where I want them (Object Info, Navigation and Resource Browser on the laptop, Basic Tools and Tool Sets, Attributes and Contraints on the 30"). I can open and close VW with the "-single17" settings whether I have the external LCD plugged in or not. When plugged in, I just have to switch workspaces. Before I end for the day, if I think I'll be working on the laptop without the 30", I just switch workspaces back to "-single17" and the palettes revert.

Edited by Jeffrey W Ouellette

Jeffrey, I did the same thing for a little while but then I'd forget to switch workspaces when shutting down or I'd need to use the single screen setup when I didn't realize that I would. If I opened VW in dual screen mode (if I hadn't switched to single before shutting down last) without the external monitor attached, it would screw up my dual screen workspace and I'd have to put everything back the next time I worked in dual screen mode. That's why I set up the Automator script.