Saved Views in 2008

visard

I used to love using the saved views tool, dependable, easy and if you get completely screwed-up, a way to quickly restore order. So what has happened with 2008? After a day of working with it, I am not able to produce a series of saved views. It appears that viewports have complicated the process enough to make it nearly impossible to use. Given three options, are the changing elements different - viewports, layers, or classes?

Display 2D Objects on Active Layer - While layers are stacked, normally all of the 2D objects are hidden, only 3D and hybrid objects are visible. With this option selected, the 2D objects on the active layer are visible. In addition to them showing, with this options selected, you can use most of the 2D drawing tools on the active layer as well. This is a nice addition.

Restore Original Views after Unstacking - The view of all the other layers is adjusted to match the active layer when you turn on stacking. If this option is selected, when you turn stacking off, each layer will go back to the view it was in prior to stacking. With this off, each layer will remain in the last view the stack was viewed in.

Ignore Layers with Different Scales - With this selected, only layers that are at the same scale as the active layer are stacked. With it off, all visible layers are stacked. Normally you want this option selected.

Pat

Here's what I was trying to do:

-show a single floor plan with options for placement of stair. the stair is a group, rectangle with 'x'.

- on a design layer I imported the scanned pdf file of plan and named it Fl1

- displayed five copies of stair in different locations and assigned each a class: option one to option five.

-I made a viewport showing plan and activated class "option one" in the OIP to display stair option location.

- saved the view and repeated process for second option.

- now try to recall saved view #1 and nothing happens.

- check class view settings in saved view edit and all is well.

- try again and find that saved view settings are apparently overridden by the class setting in the viewport OIP.

- There are a number of obvious questions here. the first might be - is this methodology sound? Classes work well to control visibility in simpler documents but should I be using annotations or viewports or layers for each design option? A second seems to be that the variety of visibility controls has confused the process, when using viewports does the OIP trump all other controls? It should be pointed out that, as far as I can tell, the help has no opinion about this.