Modifying symbols

I've created some hybrid symbols and placed them in a "symbol file" so I can access them from the resource browser.

I've then placed some of these symbols in a new drawing file.

If I now need to modify the symbols in the original symbol file, is there an easy way to get the symbols in the drawing file to update? Or must I actually delete the old symbols and replace them with the modified symbols from the resource browser?

Thanks.

Im not 100% sure if this is the correct way to do it, but if you have your symbol file as a referenced file (under the layer organisation/references tab), then they should update automatically (depending on what settings you have - you may have to manually update the link in the references tab if you want it to update immediately).

Not sure if this functionality is available in 12.5 though.

If you update the symbol in your original symbol file, open the file in which you'd like to update, browse to the original symbol file in the Resource Browser, and Double-click on the symbol, you should get a dialog box asking if you want to update the symbol definition. You might have to actually place the symbol - I don't remember.

Thanks.

I'm assuming you mean workgroup references?

Actually no. Sorry, I jumped from 11.5 to 2008 so don't know what features 12.5 had, but with 2008 you can simply create a reference to another file using the layers/sheets tabs. Possibly this feature is not available in 12?

Bill,

That does seem to work, though I do have to actually place a copy of the updated symbol in the new drawing file. However, I can place it anywhere and after saying yes to the dialog asking if I want to replace the symbol definition, the old symbol updates and I can delete the one I just placed.

At least this saves me having to place the new one in the exact same place as the old which may have been rotated or need to be very accurately placed.

Thanks for your help.

boxjoint, I think that in 12 you can also open the target drawing, browse to the source drawing in the Resource Browser, right-click on the updated symbol and choose Import. VW2008 adds an export function to this type of workflow which allows you to "push" resources to other files (even if they're not open.)