Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Equation Question

CS1

I want my worksheet to complete the following

In my cell I want the value of cell N3 to display if Cell M3 has the text "GS1a" entered in it

and to display the value of O3 if the value is not the text GS1a.

I have used the following equation which works in Excel

=IF('M3'='GS1a','N3','03')

However If I enter "GS1a" the cell says "True" and if I enter something else it says "Fale" not the values Im after.

Edited by CS1

As you are rapidly learning, the VS Worksheet is not nearly as powerful as Excel.

In this case though, the parser justs needs a liitle extra help. Try this:

=if((M3='GS1a'),n3,o3)

Note that only the string constant has quotes. The cell references should not. The extra help the parser needs is the extra set of parens around the logical test.

One more hint for working with the worksheet. You are probably familiar with the fill down and fill right commands in Excel. They don't exist in WorkSheets. What give a similar functionality is to copy a cell (or set of cells) and then select an area before you paste. After the paste the selected are will be filled with the copied data. (Excel would give an error about the copy and paste areas not the same shape).

Pat

Thanks Pat your a legend that works great, I think theres a bit to learn with worksheets.

Another question for you:

How would I create an equation similar to the previous one you created, that if GS1a is entered it displays (N3) but if GS2a is entered it displays (O3)?