Why can't I make a red plug-in object?

I don't seem to have the ability to create a red, plug-in object. Does anyone know why? If I'm just being extra dense, can you walk me through the process?

Yes, I have read the helpfile and followed the steps. Unfortunately, I don't have the same choices as the help file for symbol creation. See my sig for versions and configuration.

Screen shots are attached. Image 1 is the objects to be made into a plug-in object. Image 2 is the first symbol creation dialog. Image 3 is the symbol creation options dialog.

As you can see in the third image, my only option is to "convert to group." When I select this option, it indeed creates a "blue" object. The help line below when I hover above this option says "click to convert to a group or plug-in object." So where is this missing plug-in option?

Please, I've tried reading all the supplied material, and it's been no help.

Thanks!

Edited by jwlyon1

Doesn't it? Well, the Good Marylandians behind the documentation must come from the famous Welsh village of Llareggub...

Unfortunately for you (and fortunately for me - or at least my bank manager) creating parametric objects is not quite that easy.

Parametric objects (of which you create these red symbols) are not shaken but stirred: you don't draw them, you write them in program code.

I'd love to give you an example, but since posting my code always causes some Forum Members to become erratic, if not frantic or diarrhetic, I won't. (There are people around here who lose their minds and shoot from the hip when they see ?. I imagine they are people who religiously believe that their designs - if any - can be used by anyone, anywhere, anytime, for free. Bless their souls - they've put everything they have ever done to Public Domain and won't sue anyone who builds a hundred McMansions from the "drawings" they prepared for their second cousin. The said cousin being the only person ignorant and na?ve enough to commission them. Ahh - now I get it! The said "designers" have never built anything!)