12.5.3 install failed

Started with 12.5.2

Downloaded and started install of 12.5.3 Mac

During Finishing phase, installer failed to write "Plug-In Support.vwlibrary"

Examine installer log - install error at "Plug-In Support.vwlibrary" confirmed.

Shut down

Restart

Installed 12.5.3 from download disk image again.

Error message informs that no update is needed at this time

Restart

VW failes to launch

Error message informs that there is a missing or corrupt file. Reinstall VW.

My disks are across town, as is my 12.5.2 backup. (ain't laptops great!)

Do I have to go get the disk? or is a redownload or other option?

-B

I have downloaded the update on my intel Imac with 10.4.10. It updated fine. The application still says it is 12.5.2 though, so I thought a t first it didn't work. The update is not behaving properly - can't open other 12 files easily and can't import autoad files. Haven't tried it beyond that and went back to 12.5.2 - hopefully successfuly.

Benson,

You can try to download the updater again, then install it, but it's likely the same issue will occur.

You are likely going to have to reinstall from the disk.

It's not a bad idea to keep a back up copy of VW when running updaters for this very reason.

Now it works:

After 12.5.3 install failed, I started over:

Trashed VW 12.5.2 folder (Did not find uninstall option on the VW install disks)

Trashed VW plist (is there a cache to trash, too?)

Installed 12.0.0 from NNA disks.

Installed 12.0 to 12.5.3 updater from NNA download.

Usual restarts and permission repairs.

We have lift off.

Now if I could just make it stop crashing when I edit polys in close zoom. Maybe that's a graphics card or processor issue.

-B

I use OS10 Disk Utility, Disk Warrior, MacJanitor, Apple Hardware Test.

The crashing is not likely to related to 12.5.3 update. The crashes occur after about 20 min of close zoom edit. This condition persists from at least 12.x.x.

OS10 crash log? A Spotlight search did not reveal it. I would not know how to interpret it anyway.

I do disk maintenance after installs and on a schedule: repair permissions with Disk Utility (weekly), rebuilt directory with Disk Warrior (prox monthly) and maintain/rotate the system logs & caches with MacJanitor (weekly).

A failed AutoSave (set for 20 min) may be implicated or some kind of data bottleneck - small bus? slow processor? insufficient ram? weak graphics card? I am going to try a work session with the autosave dissabled (duh!). I removed Logitech Control Center a month ago thinking it was the culpret - no difference.

Disk repair reports never show anything from VectorWorks. Mac Janitor changes one of the Temp.Var permissions, Disk Utility changes it back - otherwise clean. Disk Warrior reports the occassional flagged icon. Apple's Hardware Test shows no problems.

-B

Thanks, Katie - The crash is almost always total system freeze (no mouse, no keys) which responds only to the on/off switch. Occassionaly I get a crash which only requires force quit of VW.

I found the crash logs - user library/logs, and system library/logs. Strangely, niether one has entries after 10.27.2007. I had a kernel panic around then as part of restart from VW crash (crash then wreck?). In user library/logs/crash reporter there are files for each crashed software. Although I had several system crashes 11/17/07 during VW sessions, and another today, none of the files in the folder show modification date of today or yesterday. System crash reporter contains only one file: Excited process.crash.log modified 10/21 - maybe that was the kernel panic.

I am emailing the 5 MB VW crash log to tech, cc Katie.

Thanks

-B

Try creating a new user account, then use VW. If the problem does not persist, then your user account is corrupt.

If the problem does persist, it could be a VW issue, or an OS issue. Which may only be resolved with a format / clean install of the OS.