Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

special characters

FabianMohr

hello.

i am coding a textfile input. the textfile contains special chars like the euro-sign (?) and ??? and so on. when the file is read in the characters get transformed to some weird ascii signs, when put into a listbox, in an alertdialog they remain the same.

is there any possibility to make special characters also work in listboxes?

thanks in regards, f.m.

Sorry, but official statements here in the vectorscript forum are very,very rare. Pretty much non-existent. This is users helping each other. (Some might say it's the blind leading the blind, but I think that's a bit harsh)

I'd love to help you but have no experience at all with your issue.

There are people who drop in occasionally and can probably help, but it might be a while before they do.

Good luck

Charles

Special (high ordered ASCII) characters are font dependent. Different fonts display different glyphs (character outlines) for the same ASCII codes above 127. Unless you can control the font that is used in the listbox, you are at the mercy of only having available the glyphs within the font that is used. Off the top of my head I don't know what font is used on Windows or even if it can be user defined. I suspect not. I know that doesn't answer your question. Perhaps another will elaborate more.

Raymond

• 1 month later...

Friends, MacRomans, countrymen - lend me your codes! I come to bury VS, not to praise it.

Fabian, I have the feeling that you're out of luck. VS does not seem to handle anything outside the ancient, basic ASCII. Not even UPRSTRING works. (A good indication on how VectorWorks works...)