Created pdf looks different to actual design

Labfm1

Question

Hi,

I'm a student and I am running Vectorworks 2008 SP1 on MacOSX 10.4.10.

I made a design for my research with a network of circles (300 microns in diameter).

I need to create a very high resolution pdf file to submit to the print shop where basically, I need to be able to zoom into the pdf file and still see accurate detail of my design.

However, when I export to pdf, I am getting a file that has distorted some my circles by making some oblong and some normal.

I have attached a zoomed screen shot of my design in vw2008, a screen shot of the created pdf (to see the difference) and the actual vwx file.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 answers to this question

Each dot is three thousandths of a millimetre in diameter, and at a pitch of 4.8 thousandths of a millimetre they will be indistinguishable unless the image is substantially magnified up. I doubt that any printer could print that out accurately at a scale of 1:1. To do so it would have to print at something like 4000 DPI. Even so all you would end up seeing on any printed output is a black mass.

Notwithstanding that try changing the Resolution settings in your Document Preferences:

- from 5080 DPI for Pict Export to 1200 DPI

- from 72 DPI for Printing to 1200 DPI

If there is still a problem try making both a little higher. Good luck.

Edited by mike m oz
Each dot is three thousandths of a millimetre in diameter, and at a pitch of 4.8 thousandths of a millimetre they will be indistinguishable unless the image is substantially magnified up. I doubt that any printer could print that out accurately at a scale of 1:1. To do so it would have to print at something like 4000 DPI. Even so all you would end up seeing on any printed output is a black mass.

Notwithstanding that try changing the Resolution settings in your Document Preferences:

- from 5080 DPI for Pict Export to 1200 DPI

- from 72 DPI for Printing to 1200 DPI

If there is still a problem try making both a little higher. Good luck.

thanks....

got it to work now..

increased the Pict Export to 10,000 DPI

and Printing to 10,000 DPI..

then, zoomed in approx. 51,000%, and then exported pdf at on-screen resolution (if that did anything)