Improved Dimension Text

Bruce Kieffer

Question

6 answers to this question

Perhaps we could get the long dash enabled as a kind of "unit mark". That would provide the visual separation, but not be interpereted as a mathamatical operator.

Actually on second thought, that is a really bad idea. How confusing would it be to try to always use the right dash.

If you entered 1?1/16" it would be right, but if you entered 1-1/16" you would get 15/16". I don't think the visual difference between the two is as great in most fonts as it appears in this post.

Pat

I've been having my own hyphen issues.

Dimension lines show feet and inches separated by a hyphen, ex. 1'-10 3/4".

However, if you wish to place a worksheet on the drawing with dimensions in feet and inches, you must not use the hyphen since VW sees it as an operator and subtracts, leaving you with 1 1/4 inches instead of 1'-10 3/4".

Entering the dimension in the worksheet without the hypen works, but then the notation is different from the dimension lines.

[quote=If you entered 1?1/16" it would be right, but if you entered 1-1/16" you would get 15/16". I don't think the visual difference between the two is as great in most fonts as it appears in this post.

Pat

The dimension text is automatically placed by the dimension tool. There's is no manual entering of the text unless you ungroup the entire dimension. The subtraction issue you refer to is not an issue that I can tell.

bah...go metric! :)

Only joking..then you'd still have to contend with half the world using a period and half using a comma as the decimal separator...

On a related matter, you still can't change the font and font size of dimensions from the OIP in 2008. Frustrating that you have to go to the menu to do it.

The dimension text is automatically placed by the dimension tool. There's is no manual entering of the text unless you ungroup the entire dimension. The subtraction issue you refer to is not an issue that I can tell.

My misunderstanding, if all you want is the dash in dimension strings, then not a problem. The next thing to be asked though would be why do I have a dash in the dimension, but not in the OIP? That is where the subtraction issue becomes a really, really big problem.

Pat