Edit viewport crop query

Hi,

novice user here but moving in the right direction now !

My problem is when I double click or choose via the right button menu "Edit crop" the buttons and box frame dissapear which removes the ability to use the crop feature. I have tried saving and re opening the file and sometimes it works. This does not happen with "Edit annotations though. Am I right in saying that whilst in a viewport you can edit the crop in there and then ( or annotations if wished) wothout having to go back to the design layer.

Anyone have and idea what I am doing wrong ?

Architect 12.5.2 OSx 10.4.10 dual 2.5 chip P/PC 3.5G ram

Thank you

David

I'm not sure what you mean by "buttons and box frame dissapear".

Try select all when in viewport crop mode, if nothing shows up, try drawing a rectangle and exit viewport crop mode. If you recieve the message "a viewport may only have one crop object" then you originally had a crop object, but it's class is turned off. I always make sure my crop object is in the none class.

Hi Ray,

I will try to describe this better. I create a view in the design layer. I make a viewport on a sheet layer and it has the red hatched line and blue buttons around it. I update this in the info palette and all is fine. However if I want to change the crop in the viewport I double click (rt) and the menu apears with edit annotations / crop / design layer. I choose crop and the tool bar shows the edit crop panel BUT the box and blue buttons around the viewport image have gone. There is nothing to get hold of. If I select all nothing happens. If I draw a box in the viewport my original image appears revealed by the box size. The box has buttons and behaves in the way I want it to in editing the viewport.

However the box and buttons remain after the edit and show up permanently in the veiwport window. This is not what I am able to do on some other files and viewports. The class selected is none.

Any ideas ?

Thanks again

David

Edited by Twickenhaman

The red and white striped box is the border of the viewport, not the crop. It has a red and white strip because it has not been updated. Blue buttons are selection handles, you see them at the corners of the viewport because it's an object and it's selected. When you enter edit crop you will see neither. When you make a rectangle in edit crop, the rectangle now becomes the crop object. To make it so you can't see it when you exit edit crop, give it a none line fill.

After exiting edit crop the viewport border will be the same size as the crop object.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that. What did I do wrong?

I know the red line is the viewport in need of an update which worked fine. However when I chose "edit crop" I expected the black line box with blue handles to appear. What I was not doing was twanging the box around the viewport to my new crop shape.

Thanks for that as I can now move on another step along the way..........

Regards

David

Twickenhaman,

You may not have done anything wrong.

Your second post says that you made a viewport (of the design layer) on a sheet layer.

You don't say exactly how you did this, but you can do this two different ways. If you simply select Create Viewport from the menu, the viewport that is placed on the sheet layer is uncropped. You see the whole design layer.

On the other hand, if you draw a rectangle ( or other shape) on the design layer that encloses the area that you want to see in your viewport, and then, with that object selected, you select Create Viewport from the menu, you are given the option to use the object as your crop object.

As Ray says, you can also create a crop object directly in the viewport using Edit Crop.

Note that in the OIP, just above the Update button, there is a tiny note that tells you whether the viewport you have selected is cropped or not. It's handy.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
When you make a rectangle in edit crop, the rectangle now becomes the crop object. To make it so you can't see it when you exit edit crop, give it a none line fill.

After exiting edit crop the viewport border will be the same size as the crop object.

wow thanks so much for this. ive been wanting to know how to do that for months!!! so you do learn something new everyday :o)