Beginner's Question: Moving in Vworks

An important detail: I want to move based on the geometry datum, with the mouse and the bar of values. I don't want to use the "obj info" window and add values there, because it doesn't allowed me some combinations like define an x value and align with a geometry. Thanks.

To use the data display bar for a 2D move, draw a temporary rectangle representing the move vector. Start at the reference point on the object you want to move, and enter the coordinates of the move distance. Then grab the object at that reference point and drag it to the opposite corner of the rectangle. (edited out -- better to use the drag-back method described by David, below)

A quick way to enter the coordinates is to use the numeric keypad -- Enter, then the X value, then Enter, then the Y value, then Enter again.

And since you want numeric precision, you should always either type the values in the data display bar or else accept a constraint point (hit Enter to lock it in and go on to the next cell). If you just drag to an unconstrained point, choosing it based on what you see in the data display bar, it won't necessarily be precisely what you see there.

Edited by jan15
Once the move is a "click and drag" command the software doesn't allow me to write in that bar with the values (x, y, l, a, ...).

The data bar can in fact be used as you require. Drag the object, then drag back without releasing. Note the data bar now has established a new origin. Press tab to activate the data bar, then enter the relative move co-ordinates (still keeping the mouse button down), tabbing between fields, and enter when done. Release object and the move is complete.

Moving can also be done via the OIP.

I usually use the move command as it has a shortcut key, and if I want to repeat a move the coordinates are already there from the previous move.

Actually you are all correct, it was my mistake trying to type the values after releasing the object.

Katie, I think the move menu works like the "object info" window, except that it works for multiple objects. The problem is that working with these tools I lose the combination with the drawing space and other geometries.

Thank you all for the replies.

Hi people. I am here again. I went to the software to use the solutions proposed and I have found what was the real problem with the move tool.

The real question is: How do I copy elements with the same precision i have with the move tool. Once during the copy command I click and drag holding the alt/option !

The problem is that holding the button both hands are busy to type a value in the bar. And more, even holding the option with my thumb and typing the values with the other fingers (acrobatic) while I am holding the option the machne don't write numbers.

Is there a practical way to to this ? My suggestion: once the option is pressed the move becomes copy, and once pressed again, it becomes move again. No holdings in the keyboard, just press and release.

what reall bugs me in vectorworks (and it's been a long list-expanding day) is that you cannot select and object then move it a distance/direction that is defined by clicking other points.

If I have an object in one bay and the relationship to the grids is the same in each bay, in microstation i'd select the object define the start of the move from some handy point on the grid then end the move on the corresponding part on the next grid. vectorworks thinks i want to move the grid.

alos why the feck is there no move icon. (or rotate copy come to that)

oh it's been a long day

picareta -

You may want to try the Duplicate Array command - even if you need 1 copy, it will give you precise control over the copy's location.

mralistair

There is a third party plugin on the Vectorbits dot com site (Vectormove) that sounds like it could fit your bill. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have this feature built in, but they do have some handy tools there.

How do I copy elements with the same precision i have with the move tool. Once during the copy command I click and drag holding the alt/option !
A good point. In previous versions, you only had to hold down the modifier key while beginning to drag an object with the 2D Select tool (in order to make the operation a copy rather than a move). I never understood why they changed that. As you said, the new way makes it hard to enter the coordinates of the move vector.

But you can first issue the "Duplicate" command, and then drag-move the duplicate. To keep the duplicate in the same place as the original, you would have to turn off "Offset Duplications", in "VectorWorks Preferences".

If I have an object in one bay and the relationship to the grids is the same in each bay, in microstation i'd select the object define the start of the move from some handy point on the grid then end the move on the corresponding part on the next grid. vectorworks thinks i want to move the grid.

I agree that this feature should be part of VW, there is a free tool at the "old Vector Depot" site:

http://www.vectordepot.com/Plugins1.shtml

that does exactly what you describe above:

"Duplicate/Multiple

A very clever PIO that allows you do duplicate an object once or 1000 times by selecting a reference point then the location of the new object with point and click simplicity.

Contributor: Katerina Panagiotakis"

BTW, it works in VW 12.5.1

George

Edited by G_Hannigan
In previous versions, you only had to hold down the modifier key while beginning to drag an object with the 2D Select tool (in order to make the operation a copy rather than a move).

It would greatly enhance the speed of my workflow for move/copy to work like this. It does take quite of bit of dexterity as indicated to move a specified distance as it currently functions. I'd also like to see a more intuitive feature such that once the command is invoked, a simple mouse gesture (horizontal, vertical, along line, etc.) determines the appropriate input field. The input field would automatically become highlighted based on the direction of the mouse movement, rather than needing to 'tab' to x, y, etc.

• 1 month later...

I would like to share something a have figured out. If you use the move command with the selection tool you can copy with precision.

1 Just use it as a move action, holding the right button and typing the values or aligning with some geometry (or both).

2 Then, just before you release the mouse button press alt/option and hold.

It is not that fast, but I think it works.