Crown molding profiles

I'm looking for a way (simple?) to draw crown molding profiles, and other precise, curved items (2-D carved posts, for instance) to use in my drawings.

I've been able to get by using polygons, then clipping them with various circles, arcs, and other polygons. It works, but seems VERY cumbersome, with much trial and error. I'm looking for suggestions or solutions?

I've had pretty good luck with using a scanned profile image and/or a PDF from manufacture websites in conjunction with the "trace bitmap" command.

I've quickly created many profiles which I use to demonstrate moulding work at various events and trade shows.

I've done some downloading of files, but we use many moldings from a small custom shop, so the downloading option is out with those.

I've not had very good luck with the trace bitmap command. I find that the resulting poly has a very "hand-drawn" sketch quality to it. I'm looking to get a fine lined poly resembling the rest of my drawing. Maybe there is a setting I need to tweak? As for scanning profiles to be traced, can anyone recommend any settings (dpi, file type, etc.)?

Sorry if this is very elementary stuff. I do virtually no 3-D work, and no rendering at all. (I wonder why I purchased Renderworks at all?! LOL. Dreaming of the potential I guess!).

Thanks for the advice so far. This message board is an excellent tool!

EDIT: Okay, I'm a simpleton! LOL! I took my traced object and, as was suggested above, used the polyline tool to draw over it. Fantastic results! It seems so obvious now, but you can't imagine how difficult I've made all of this! Thanks again!

Edited by Chris Fleming