Truss Labels

Hello

I would be grateful if anyone can advise about options for labeling Truss. I am using the Spotlight Truss PIO: I want to leave it as a PIO as I would like to generate reports about Truss'- however I would like to be able to affix names to the Truss Runs. Ideally, I would like another field in the PIO to add a name.

With thanks

The truss and the hanging position don't need to be the same object.

You can create a 2d/3d hybrd object for hanging positions on each truss run and use those to help generate paper work. For example you can have a lower downstage, lower upstage, high downstage and high upstage hanging position for each truss. Then the truss can stay a truss.

Does that make any sense?

Michael K

Hi Michael

My problem with doing this is that I loose the parameters of the 'Truss' OIP in the spreadsheet when I change it to a "Lighting Position"

Ultimately, I would like:

Spreadsheet

Column A: Truss Name (eg. Truss A)

Column B: Truss Type (eg. Box)

Column C: Truss Lenght (eg. 3m)

Plan

Piece of Truss with Label (ideally linked to what is in the OIP)

Am I dreaming?

Thanks so much for your assistance

Buzz

I see. Cool idea.

I usually break trusses down so I can specifiy that a unit is to be hung on the upstage or downstage side of a truss. (Or top or bottom of a truss)

1. Don't change it to a Lighting Position.

a. Draw a 2d line and a 3d pipe or extruded line for each of the truss' "pipes". (4 for a box trus, 3 for a triangular truss)

b. Group each set of 2d/3d objects.

c. Make that group a lighting position.

d. Give each one a height. Each one will live "inside the truss tube".

e. So each box truss will have 4 hanging positions. Each triangular truss will have 3 hanging positions.

Now you can leave the truss as a truss object and still have lighting positions that can be labeled as that truss.

2. I've never tried making a spreadsheet from a truss OIP. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

To make a worksheet that will keep track of your truss WITH DESCRIPTIVE NAMES:

1) Create Report... list all items with the Straight Truss record. Title this report something descriptive, perhaps Truss Schedule.

2) Create a new Record Format titled Truss Name. Add a single field, "Truss Position Name". (You can title the record and the field anything you want, just substitute your titles in what I describe below.)

3) For each truss object, attach the Truss Name record by checking its box in the Data pane of the OIP and entering a descriptive name in the third portion of the Data pane.

4) Edit your Truss Schedule worksheet. Under the little black downward arrow, click on Insert Column and put in the top row of the new column "Position Name" or "Truss Position Name" or whatever you want. This is just a label a not controlling data.

5) In the second row of that same column (where you'll see totals happening in the other columns) type: "=('Truss Name'.'Truss Position Name')" (without the quotes of course; put in YOUR names you gave the RECORD and the FIELD.) The computer will go searching in the other record for data and add it to this worksheet.

6) You can add truss at your heart's desire and continue to attach the Truss Name record, label the position, and ask your worksheet to Recalculate and the new ones will show up.

7) I suggest saving both the worksheet and the Truss Name record into your template file for future use. I also suggest attaching this record to any truss red objects you might have saved, thus saving you the attaching work on all future uses of that object.

Cris Dopher