Customized Plant Library

Sorry if this post is redundant. It must have been addressed elsewhere, but I couldn't find just what I was looking for.

Is there a way to permanently associate a plant definition with a particular plant symbol? I'd like to be consistent in the way I use graphics in my landscape designs. E.g., a globe blue spruce should be represented with the same graphic in every plan.

My goal is to create a library of plant symbols sorted by type that I can quickly grab and place using the Place Plant Tool without having to assign plant information in an extra step.

I'm trying to understand symbols and the resource library but have made little headway. I'm not new to CAD, just VW.

my Landscape Tutorial manual shows you how to make a plant and where to make the plants so that the change is permanent. Without repeating my manual completely, you need to start a plant library and that library needs to be in a specific location:

VectorWorks Folder\Libraries\Defaults\Plants\

You can order my manuals from:

https://plus36.safe-order.net/archoncad/manuals/manuals.php

Edited by archoncad

Once you've set up a library, save the file as a template file.

Use the template to create new projects and all your customized plants are included in the new file.

You can also do that.

I personally use templates so I can create plant databases based on the type of project.

I have a template for water-based layouts - which only have aquatic plants and a few other plants.

I have a separate templates for low-end residential projects requiring cost effective plants/trees/shrubs, and are not quite so diverse.

Then I have another template for large, high end projects consisting of low-end plants, and a few exceptional plants/trees/shrubs too.

The last template I have is the biggie one which has everything - just in case.