import defaults to wrong scale

jeff mcl

Question

When I import a DWG file into a blank layer set at say, 1/8"= 1'-0", the imported file comes in and becomes a 1:1 file, even though I have specified the import to be at that scale. Any thoughts on why this isn't working? Never had this problem with 12, only in 12.5.

2 answers to this question

In the import dialog, make sure you have "This Scale" selected and it is set to 1/8".

Otherwise, the dwg imports into a new design layer with a scale of whatever is selected in the import dialog box.

You'll notice new design layers are created for each model space page when importing a dwg file into vectorworks.

The words "new design layer" are important here.

While all of us would occasionally hope that I (or someone else) would have written the ultimate "Mind Reader, Feather Duster & Coffee Maker" plug-in, the current state of affairs is exactly how it should be.

No offence intended, Jeff.

However, if the behaviour of VW has really changed, ie one can no longer define the import scale, the situation is bad. I can't reproduce such a change, though.

AutoCAD importing has for many years been among the most robust, solid and considered features of VW. (A certain very talented and respected programmer does not appear to be with NNA any more, so it is difficult to predict the future in this respect, but let's hope for the best.)