A plea for consistency

mike m oz

Question

I have just come across another example of inconsistency: You can fillet the corners of a rectangle or polygon in one simple step by choosing the Fillet tool and then double clicking on an edge. Why doesn't chamfer work in the same way?

Other examples of inconsistency I have come across are:

- The Join command will work on two lines but will not work on a line and an arc or on two arcs.

- Fillet will wotk on walls but chamfer will not.

Getting consistency would improve the program's user friendliness substantially (Particularly for new and inexperienced users.). Please do something about this.

Other types of inconsistency I have noticed can be found in these two posts:

- Walls: http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB20&Number=71083

- Roofs: http://techboard.nemetschek.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB20&Number=52809

5 answers to this question

The chamfer doesn't work that way because you can have a chamfer at different distances from a point on the two coincident lines.

In other words, you can create a chamfer other than 45 degrees, where the fillet tool creates an arc based on a circle - the distance to the center of the arc is the same distance from each coincident line.

Sure, but if the value is changed, then VW doesn't know which edge composing the corner is the short end and which edge is the longer end.

I'm just explaining why you can't double click on a polygon like you can with the fillet tool to apply the change to the entire object.

There would be an awful lot of error checking to look for in chamfer cases.