More 12.5 irregularities

I?ve never experienced so many program irregularities with a version of Vectorworks as I am experiencing with Architect 12.5.1.

Today for example, there was a time when I could place dimensions but not select them. New dimensions, old dimensions, no matter. I got rid of a couple unnecessary classes, quit Vectorworks, restarted the computer and the problem went away.

Then this evening I?m laying down keynotes, which were working fine earlier today, and starting on a layer with no keynotes I can?t put one down without it bringing up a legend containing a bunch, but not all, of the keynotes I placed on other layers earlier today. Instead of getting note no. 1, I?d get note number 15. I got around that problem by editing the legend and deleting all the notes but the new one.

But it?s still screwy. Everytime I place a new keynote, all the others in this layer renumber. If I double click on the legend and simply click ok, the order of notes changes.

So I can?t really control at all, anymore, where a note occurs in the list. The numbering becomes random when I would prefer there be some logic to the order of which notes are read first.

There are just too many frustrations with Vectorworks at this time.

Regards,

Donald

Hence ... why I'm still stuck back @ v11.5.1 ... very stable ... totally predictable...

no nonsense ... it just works flawlessly ...

i just don't have the time or patience to beta the v 12 upgrade path ...

although I'm eager to move on to all the new power & functionality.

Hopefully, these reported irregularities will be resolved ... soon come.

Island Man, I always appreciate your thoughts very much, but animated avatars are not clever.

In my sleep I think I have come up with a couple observations which are probably significant.

1. Keynote callouts and keynote legends are working fine in all the other locations in the file.

2. The problem keynotes and legend are occurring on a design layer that exists with other design layers to form a saved sheet. It started out empty. I then pasted in a plan, with some keynote callouts. Then I deleted the callouts and edited the plan. After that keynotes are bonkers. Something about introducing callouts (and no legend) onto a blank layer and then deleting the callouts seems to affect afterwards how keynotes and keynote legends behave on the layer.

Regards,

Donald

PS

Islandman, I really do appreciate your thoughts.

I found a solution to the problem. Out of view in the design layer I was working on, there were two floor plans which had been pasted with their keynotes (but no legend). One I deleted all the callouts on those plans, the new keynotes and keynote legend works as it should.

I conclude that copying keynotes from one layer to another, even unintentionally, is not a good idea.

Regards,

Donald

Ok, I sent the file.

I also figured out what the problem with dimensions not being selectable was.

Class visibility was set to "show snap others." Do that and you can't select dimensions when none class is active. Changing to show, snap, modify others solves that problem. I still have a couple objects I can't select, but tomorrow's another day.

Regards,

Donald

Use Force Select to select objects otherwise not selectable.

Right click on the object and select "Force Select".

It probably has to do with the Layer Options (like the you've found with Class Option), or that the objects reside on layers other than the active layer. The other layers may be in another view (both layers need to be in a top/plan view), or set to a different scale.

Island Man, I always appreciate your thoughts very much, but animated avatars are not clever.

Donald, that avatar was not intended to be "clever" , but instructive of the interaction of intertwining vectors... why not !

The math behind that knot animation is incredible. As an Architect in training, I'm fascinated with mathematical proportionality.

Check out this inspirational design sequence :

Skelion Knots animation

I have noticed some wierd stuff going on....like I won't be able to all of the sudden select dimensions...wierd...anyway I have found that if I refresh the screen sometimes or align the layers or stack and then unstack I can get my selection back.

Another thing is that sometimes when you are in edit mode the selection handles will let you click-then-drag...and then all of the sudden you are in click-and-hold-to-drag...very intermittent behavoir.

Islandmon, would it be possible to get your avatar to appear more like one image is morphing into another to give it a smoother transition or are the images completely random and self generated?

Pete A

<<Another thing is that sometimes when you are in edit mode the selection handles will let you click-then-drag...and then all of the sudden you are in click-and-hold-to-drag...very intermittent behavoir.>>

I have noticed this too. Also, sometimes I get text with the smart cursor when it is not supposed to. The workaround I use is to go into preferences and out a couple times to cycle first to the preference I don't want (which I'm getting) and then once to the preference I do. Very intermittent and random.

Regards,

Donald

Islandmon, would it be possible to get your avatar to appear more like one image is morphing into another to give it a smoother transition or are the images completely random and self generated?

Sure .. but all those extra ' filler' images would bloat & stall the avatar, but

doable at hi-res. Thanx for the suggestion ... soon come.

The quasi-random images are generated from the same seed.