needing tips for interior elevations

jeffroyer

I am a fairly new vw user having switched from autocad.

I am working on a large residential project for which I am responsible for the development of the interiors. I will need to show my client several versions of interior elevations with extensive detail. In some cases, I will be suggesting different locations for exterior doors and windows.

What working method would you experienced users recommend? I have tried modeling a space in 3d and creating viewports to annotate but then I run into situations where I am recommending that established door and window locations be changed. I would prefer to use the program for its assests instead of just using lines like autocad.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quite a challenge, Jeff!

several versions of interior elevations with extensive detail

Even without knowing the type of "extensive detail", this is conceptually interesting. I'm not going to test this theory, but I believe that it would be possible to have the fabric modeled in such a manner that you could show it with these alternatives one at a time. Classes & their visibility is the key.

This is probably not exactly lucid, but:

You can simultaneously model different scenarios in the one model and use those as a sm?rg?sbord. "That window, that door and that wall finish, please. And what's that she's having?"

Thanks for the input. Yes, it is a complicated problem - too bad I didn't find something a bit more straightforward for a first project using vw. Even if I cannot use the program to its fullest, it has many graphic tools that are very appealing in this project context.

by the way, any chance you know Kaisa Soini? She was a classmate of mine in grad school.

Jeff,

I agree with Petri in part...however I have had occasion to model varied options with VW. The most straight forward concept is to make use of the design layers to set up the alternate options. You will need to have a base design layer...then your option layers that contain the objects of change only. All the classes are duplicated from layer to layer so that each alternate viewport just has specific layers turned on or off irrespective of classes (they will all utilize the same classes).

The last project I did this way had a base house with over 95 combinations of options to select...the most difficult aspect was documenting what layers to turn on and off for proper display. Once complete the CD's where as easy a pushing a button and the client used it to show the model to customers with thier chosen options.

Pete A.

Pete,

Definitely more straightforward, and probably the way to go, but if the building fabric is on the move, maintaining 95 floor plans is a bit of a problem...

Choosing the approach depends on the project and the person. I would not necessarily recommend the one I outlined, but it is an option.

Jeff, Helsinki is not THAT small a place...