Edit Lighting Device

Jim_Allen

VW 1 -2 Windows XP

I have sent 3 Emails to Tech support ove thge last 2 months about this problem and have gotten no response. [Confused]

Any one else have these problems???

this came up as I was trying to do some gobo projections on a plot.

1st Email to Katie:

It seems that if you duplicate instruments, then edit lighting device information, IE: channel, color, gobo focus, etc. the information will change for all the duplicated instruments every time you change the info of one of them??? but not in the instrument properties window.

2nd email to Katie:

I just inserted 2 new instruments from the resource palette and am getting the same information change issue with them in the Edit Lighting Device window, with no cross over change in info to instrument properties window???

Actually the new instruments that are inserted have information in the edit window ( CH, Color, Gobo pattern) that is the same as the instruments already on the plot, without any info being entered for that newly inserted instrument in the edit window, again there is no corresponding info in the instrument properties window.

New problem:

I addition to the problems listed above I also cannot seem to get instruments to change focus. correctly. If I set a focus point for a unit, then change it's focus point it won't change focus!!!

Does this make sense to anyone??? [Confused]

I would love to get a solution as I cannot do any gobo projection, etc with this problem!!!!! [Frown]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

None of this makes any sense. Is the information on the OIP updating, but not the info on the drawing? If this is the case run the refresh instruments command to force the screen to redraw.

Contact tech support and send them the file you are having a problem with. Once an instrument is duplicated it becomes a new instrument. It as no association or knowledge about the instrument it was duplicated from once the copy is made.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Kevin,

Here is what is happening.

I have inserted three instruments into my plot. I right click one insrtument and select "edit". In edit window i select "Lighting information". I place a gobo into the instrument. When I rerpeat with another instrument I will see the same gogo selected in that, and every other instrument. If I change it then it changes in all instrument. Thsi will repaet for color, focus, channel etc.

when I right click the insturment and select properties the information that shoew in the edit window will not show in the properties window????

Does this make more sense??

Jim

Want the file emailed??

Where to?

Jim

I'm still not seeing the problem. I tried it on bothe Mac and Windows. Sent the file to Tech@nemetschek.net and put it to may attention and I'll take a look at it, but I can't think of anything what would be causing this problem unless you have mutiple instruments selected when you are editing them.

Kevin

Jim

I just got the file. You do have a mutiple selection. There is another light selected on the other layer(Lighting), the next and back buttons in the dialog only appear when there are mutiple instruments selected. When you change the data, it changes the one on the other layer. When you edit another light, you are still looking at the data for the instrument in the other layer. Deselect the instrument in the other layer and you should see the results you expect.

This is still a bug that needs to be fixed, but you should still be able to use everything if you just make sure all the lighting instruments that are not currently on an editable layer are deselected.

Kevin

Kevin,

It was updating the other instruments on the set layer also - not just the one on the lighting layer that was selected.

So it appears that if I have an instrument selected on the lighting layer ALL instruments - selected or not, on the set layer will change if you edit information for an instrument on the set layer ????

Additionally when I insert new instruments into the set layer they will have information placed into them that reflects what is in instruments already on the set layer without doing anything except inserting them and converting them to instruments!! This will not happen when I insert instruments into the lighting layer.

Also why is the information being change in the "edit instrument" window not being reflected in the "instrument properties" window?

Thanks

Jim

I think you are seeing the same peoblem. If the dialog contains a next and back button, then there are mutiple selected instruments, and you may not be changing the data on the one you have selected on the active layer.

In every case I tried the info in the dialog and the info in the OIP was the same when I only had one instrument selected, and there was no Next and Back button in the dialog.

Kevin

P.S. Tech support has been swamped with calls. I don't usually look a a problem till tech support has a chance, otherwise I would have any time to fix the bugs or develop new features.

[ 02-21-2006, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: klinzey ]