Saved Views

willofmaine

The best way to view your work is to create a layer link. Create a new design layer and make it CURRENT with all other layers TURNED OFF. Envoke the layer link command and follow the pop-ups. This works independant of the STACK LAYERS command and gives you your 3D view. Once created save it as a view and you can jump to it with a mouse click.

Thank you both very much for your responses; Peter for your suggestion to use layer links (something that so far I've only been vaguely aware of, I think having read some NNA literature suggesting that Viewports have superceeded Layer Links (I'm new to VW with 12)) and, oh, two Peters... Peter Cipes, thanks for confirming that I'm not the only one that went "Huh?" when my saved view did not recall its stack layer status. Thanks!

The Layer Link is working very well for quickly switching to views - both 3D and elevations - at the click of a button & without having to worry about stacking or unstacking the layers. And in elevation views, measurements can even be taken. But...

I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to the whole need for 'stacking layers' in the first place. The building is a single entity; why isn't the default, when going to a 3D (flat, axonometric, perspective) view, that ALL design layers share the same orientation? When ever do I want to simultaneously see my First Floor in plan view and my roof in axonometric view? Further, accepting that it is indeed necessary to stack the layers, why are so few tools available once things are stacked? It seems it would be nice to be able to measure and modify things across the design layers? Oh (little experiment) I guess, actually, things in the current layer can be modified with respect to (snapped to) items in other layers... But still, one can't dimension or create a polygon and extrude it, or use similar tools, as long as stack layers is on...

Any thoughts? Thanks!

-Will