Projected Hybrid Smmbols/Viewport Problems

Here's what I'm trying to do--is it possible?

I'm currently trying to build a 3D Model of my plot and use that as my primary database for the show (so a 1:1 representation of what's on stage. Why am I doing this? I'd like to incorporate ESP Vision into my design easily and having multiple exports is driving me nuts in the model.

The problem is that this show is extremely ladder/boom heavy so I'm looking at a huge number of hybrid symbols stacking directly on top of each other.

What I need is a way to lay my booms out so that I can render them readable on the flat paperwork, but at the same time have a solid 3D model that is accurate to the space.

The only way I've found to do this is to run two separate files, otherwise my exports of instrument data is incredibly messy.

Is there an option to project 3D Symobls as 2D in another plane besides Top/Plan? Project 2D Objects doesn't seem to do the trick, and I can't see a way to make it work with layer-linking either.

Ideas? tongue.gif

Daniel -

Your question is not all that different from the question of how to have 3D ladders/booms and yet have legible 2D plots - regardles of the Vision connection.

For that question, I have 3D-only symbols that are not linked to any lighting data. I then have 2D-only symbols that make that info legible and trackable for my paperwork. In a similar way, could you not have 2D-only symbols that are not bound at all to the Vision models - and 3D-only symbols that are?

Thoughts?

Here's an idea. Say you want to have a side view show something different then the 3d model. In your 3d portion of the symbol, draw the 2d representation in the side view and convert to 3d polygons. Put these 3d polygons in a a separate class from the rest of the 3d model. Then, when you go into a viewport in which you want to see the side view representation, you can turn off the class containing the 3d portion and turn on the side view representation class.

I've never tried this, but it seems like it could work.