Creating new instruments issue

I've finally gotten efficient at creating new instruments, (for which symbols don't exist) and getting the beam and photometric info into it.

But here's a weird thing: If I create a new instrument, i.e. a Strand 2216 or 6x16, it works great until I tell it to draw the beam. When I draw the beam the Instrument Type switches from "Strand 6x16" to "Light".

Sometimes it will let me change it back in the Object Info pallet, but most of the time I can only change it back by creating an Editable Worksheet. Even then it will switch to "Light" again if I draw the beam.

michaelk

VW 10.5

Mac OS 10.3.9

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Watch the data you put in the record attatched to the instrument stmbol. The device type filed must be "Light","Moving Light", "Accessory" or "Static Accessory". The inst type field in the record should be "Strand 6x16". There are several operations that cause the the lighting device ro re-read the the default information from the instrument symbol.

One more thing since you are using V10. Make sure that there no other records attached to the instrument symbol with the field "inst type". V10 would sometimes read information for a record other then the Light Info Record.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can edit your existing symbols and fix the attatched record. Once you have fixed them all, select all the lighting device and delete the the information in the Inst Type filed and hit enter. This will cause the instruments to refresh the information it gets from the record attatched to the symbol.