stairs

i am having trouble inserting stairs. i can insert them ok, its as soon as i move them they display "stairs flr-flr height does not allow any risers" and i then have to re-do them. any ideas?

also, is it a good idea to put them on there own layer? or include them in each floor layer? cheers LF

There are a few ways to do this. If you choose to define the stair height "by layer" then you will first need to set up those layers with correct "z" values. You can also choose to define the height of the stair manually, in which case you just insert a number. I normally place the stairs on the lower of the two floors they will access, then use a floor object with the stairwell cut out in the upper of the two floors. That way I can have both layers visible in a VP, but the lower one will be mainly obscured by the floor. An alternate method is to use an exact duplicate of the stair, pasted in place in the upper level. If you do this you probably want to lower (move) the upper (duplicate) stair down by its flr-to-flr height so that it exactly coincides with the original stair in 3d space. HTH's