Feature Request - Label Legend Enhancement

Ken White

i tend to disagree with you on that one. since i'm in the habit of indicating my focus intentions on my plot ( where i will want the lamp to go) i prefer to work more with the manager to get it to display the text in a logical way. linking as you suggest would tend to clutter in my point of view. but then the manager is such a difficult beast to tame, that our idea makes sense in a way, but it would, i believe, still clutter.

I would like for the Label Legend Manager to allow me to "connect" my information to the instruments.

As things stand now, any information associated with an instrument - things like dimmer, circuit, or channel information - is drawn "floating" near the instument.

If I were drafting a plot by hand this would be unacceptable. I would require a line connecting the container holding the information to be drawn between the instrument and the container.

I can add these line manually with the line tool, but this is less than elegant! This seems like such a basic idea, I can't imagine that no one else has mentioned it. Likewise I can't imagine that it would be that hard to implement.

I would love to see discussion on this.

By no means do I think that all information and containers should be "linked". Focus information for example. It should be an option, though. I my mind I invision drawing a line from the center of the insturment to the center of the container to be linked. If there is a chain of containers (Circuit-Dimmer-Channel), then you would draw a line from instrument to container, and then another line from container to the next container, and finally from the middle container to the last. If you did not want linking lines gloabally then don't draw the line in the manager. If you don't want a line on a few select units, then this would be a check box in the object info for the instrument.

At least that is how it works in my mind. [Wink]

though i rarely use all of the same categories that ken or bruce suggest, to my knowledge the initial visual request made by ken is still impossible.

that is, if a line is drawn from the center of a symbol, (and under containers) i presume that ken would draw the line "under" the light. and at the present time (to my knowledge) everything in the label legend manager is stacked "on top of" the symbol.

this sounds like the same limitation i encountered when i unsuccessfully wanted to "tuck" the channel circle container under the symbol.

whether i want to use circles or ken wants to use lines, it seems like the folks working on future development of the label legend manager should be aware that users want to have other graphic information surrounding each symbol that can be turned on and off per symbol, and can also be "under" the outline of the symbol.