Jump to content

Missing fixture IDs from MVR export


Recommended Posts

Recently had a file where I exported an MVR and all fixture ids where missing upon import into MA3. All xyz and patch info was accurate and imported as expected simply missing fixture IDs.

- I put IDs into unit #, channel and fixture id fields all which did not crossover into MA.

- Working off of someone else's file so I'm curious if there's a setting/preference somewhere in the VWX file that is preventing a proper/clean MVR export.  

I took the same MVR file and imported that into Depence with no issues. (unit #s show up as expected) I was able to export from Depence into MA and carried on. Just scratching my head as to why the export from VW into MA was missing fixture IDs. 

 

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I've had a quick look at the MVR and there's 2 things that stand out,

  1. The MVR doesn't include any valid GDTF files, only the default placeholders created when lights haven't been linked to a GDTFin Spotlight. This means you will have to manually map the correct personality file to the fixtures in the MA 3 patch. Its not so important for depense since they don't use the GDTF's, you'll have to manually map the fixtures anyway.
  2. The MVR shows only that Unit number has been entered for each fixture, the fixture ID is empty. Fixture ID is mapped to Channel in Spotlight.

Its possible that the MA 3 software is looking only for Fixture ID (channel) in the MVR, and ignoring the other ID options, this could explain why Depense is reading the file correctly.

Can you provide me the original spotlight file so I can test exporting it?
When I try exporting my own test file I can't duplicate this issue (Tried in both Spotlight update 4 and update 5)

Link to comment

Thanks for having a look. 

 

So I haven't been using GDTF profiles as I have been seeing  issues in MA3 plus availability of files. I simply give the fixtures units numbers, confirm patch and then export. Since i only need IDs, geo info and patch, that workflow has been working for me. However, this particular vwx file is the first where IDs did not transfer over into MA3. I didn't create this file so im not sure of workflow used to create. I was tasked of creating a previz file.  I just copy the Channel # values into the Unit #s, confirmed patch and then export. When I noticed the missing IDs in MA3 i then went back to VW and started populating fixture IDs thinking MA3 was looking for that info. Exported and imported again with the same issue. I tried units #s, fixture id #s, channel #s, same results.

 

Attached is the vwx file i was exporting from...  

 

Thanks again!

Tacvba V2.1 for viz.vwx

Link to comment
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I just tried exposting from the VWX you provided and from what I can see its working correctly, the MVR is documenting the correct channel and unit numbers, based on what is currently in the lighting device properties.
Are you on Mac or PC?

I know there have been a lot of issues with the latest MacOs versions (14.4 and later) but I've not heard anything related to exporting an MVR.

Another point is that the MVR you provided didn't include any geometry other than the lights themselves, I know earlier you had to include atleats some of the Design's goemetry for MVR to correctly export (when I tested I included the truss layer).

Link to comment
4 hours ago, jcogdell said:

I just tried exposting from the VWX you provided and from what I can see its working correctly, the MVR is documenting the correct channel and unit numbers, based on what is currently in the lighting device properties.
Are you on Mac or PC?

I know there have been a lot of issues with the latest MacOs versions (14.4 and later) but I've not heard anything related to exporting an MVR.

Another point is that the MVR you provided didn't include any geometry other than the lights themselves, I know earlier you had to include atleats some of the Design's goemetry for MVR to correctly export (when I tested I included the truss layer).

Interesting...

Patch and geo all showed up as expected when I imported into MA3 from VW, just missing IDs. When I exported I chose "visible objects only" and turned off all layers I didn't want, ie truss, video, audio, etc. I just kept fixture layer visible.

I'm working on Mac Sonoma 14.5, latest release on all other SW.

I took the same MVR and imported into Depence and all imported as expected. However, importing into MA3, I'm missing IDs. I exported out of Depence and into MA3, that worked as expected.

Not sure where the disconnect is 🤷🏽‍♂️ although I didn't build that VW file... 

Thanks for taking a look.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...