Cannot import Titleblock into new file

Question

Hello community,

I have no idea what's going on, but I cannot seem to figure out why I cannot import an existing Titleblock into a new file. This is something that has worked always and now I keep on getting this error message.

"An attempt to define a Parametric Object named "Title Block Border" failed because Format with that name already exists in the current document. The entire operation is canceled.

Help is highly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,

Petri T.

3 answers to this question

This means that something other than a Title Block Border object is named Title Block Border.  Make sure that you don't have a symbol, style, or class named "Title Block Border".  Vectorworks uses a single naming pool for ALL objects in a drawing aside from Layers.  So you can't have a class named "Wall" and also have a Wall plug-in object in the same drawing.  I keep this organized by grouping my classes together (walls are in Facility-Wall, title blocks are in Sheet-Title Block, etc) and by adding "Symbol" or "Style" at the end of my symbol and style definitions (as in "Title Block Border Symbol").

If you are having a hard time identifying what object is creating a conflict, you can use this plugin to determine what object is currently named "Title Block Border":

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, it seems like there is a record format named "Title Block Border". If you rename this format to something else everything should work fine. If you have any troubles with this, share a test file and we will look into it.