generic walls

I use simple 'generic' walls quite a bit during preliminary design (no components, unbound), but have been having some problems recently. I must have changed a setting somewhere along the line.  When using a work-in-progress file, I can no longer use generic walls. Clicking on the wall tool, under 'wall style' I select 'unstyled', and then normally I would be able to select whatever 'overall thickness' dimension I need, but it is now greyed out. So the only option is to select one of the generic walls from the Vectorworks library, which are often not quite right for my requirements.

image.thumb.png.7bb4cce97d6b04ecba42f081d034a584.png

If I open a new file, the generic wall tool works just fine:

image.thumb.png.e2ef5e02d2b7a884edc2b647e7238f01.png What am I missing here? 

I have checked class and layer visibilities, and everything is set up correctly.

And I am not using stories, so walls are drawn on a layer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

@Dano Parke - quick question, as I can't see any benefit in your workflow. I'm prob missing something, but it seems overly complex.

Don't you end up with a handful of walls all very similar - Lets say a design based on 4'',5",6" or others very close to the same dims. Sketch layout looks ok, but you've no (quick visual) control over which wall you used unless you start clicking them in turn to find properties.

Wouldn't you do better to adopt a collection of 'most used walls'. Each can have some degree of identification for you in your chosen design use (quicker to choose and use in the layout) and then (my assumption would be) you then choose 'hide details' to provide plain grey (fill) walls for presentation to client?

Or your particular field doesn't have standard walls???

Then there's windows/doors????