Plant Labeling in Landmark

JCD

Question

Plant labeling in Landmark is not allowing me to adjust the label's leader line manually.  It is placed in a rigid and unchangeable location and needs to be moved to the edge of the drawing.  Any suggestions?

Also, IF I want to update or change a plant configuration in Object Info palette, there are several fields not active.  I can edit the plant info by right clicking on the plant and select edit, and style to edit under the 'edit plant style window' only.  I do not remember this from earlier versions of the program.

5 answers to this question

You should abandon using the built in plant tags and switch to data tags.  Built in tags seem to be going away in favor of data tags.

Vectorworks changed how plants behave as they refined the Style based approach.  If you want to change the attributes of individual plants, you need to change those attributes to “byinstance” instead of “bystyle”.  If you want to control some attributes and keep them the same throughout a document for every instance of a particular plant, keep them “by style” and make any changes via the style editor.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, JCD said:

Ok I need to unpack that statement - not sure what a data tag is...Looking into how to change by instance vs by style. Thanks

Learning about them will be a very good investment of time.

There is some good information about Data Tags on Vectorworks University.

Essentially, they are fully customizable tags which can get their value from different object attributes, records, and even static information.

You have the ability to easily change their layout, graphic appearance, and information to include.  It really feels like the direction the entire software is going and it's safe to assume built-in tagging based on an object style will die off.

Attached is an example of the Data Tags for plants that shipped with 2023.

Plants-DataTags vs old Tags.vwx

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Carol Reznor said:

hi @Jeff Prince 
I believe the only thing a Plant Label CAN do that a Data tag can't is show the Plant Image.

Or has that changed and is that also possible now with a Data tag?

I do not believe they have fixed that deficiency yet, but I haven’t looked in years.

• Like 1