Clip Cube Viewports not respected by Hidden Line - past 5 years running

Joe-SA

Question

The forum thread above was started in 2019 pointing out how hidden line ignores the clip cube.  The last note saying this feature is still not fixed was last year.  I just tested in 2024 SP4 and it is still not fixed.

We regularly generate interior perspectives with textures, lighting, shadows and overlay line work.  We do this from an eye point location outside of the room in order to avoid the fish eye look and to be able to see more of the space.  This is best done from a perspective section view.   Hidden line and Shaded simply do not respect the clip cube the same way in Viewports.  It is not consistent through the various other Rendering Modes, either.  

We've resorted to having to generate DLVP Section viewports and then set up a perspective view of that design layer model section.  A massive file size and memory suck in order to do it.  We've been jumping through this hoop for years.   I've brought this to Vectorworks directly in the past with back and forth exchanges but still no action.

This shouldn't be a new feature wishlist request.  It is actually a bug that has needed fixing for the past 5 years.  Once upon a time it worked as expected.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 answers to this question

This is an ongoing issue.It is harder and harder to defend, "features" are introduced and implemented to great hoopla. However, they do not work as needed. Sometimes that is they work as designed, but the design does not match the users' needs. I think this is one reason I have abandoned the Clipcube feature.

It is a problem throughout the program.

As one colleague (he can identify himself if he desires) often states, VWX needs a maintenance release. Apple has done this with MacOS and iOS, one release version does nothing but fix bugs. We need that version.

In the meantime when I hear what if we did this or what if we add that, my thoughts go immediately to what will break?

• Like 3