Truss properties - VW crashes

I'm constantly making new trusses to our library and is making them as trusses in VW. This for the most goes like a charm, but VW has some hick-ups here and there, that makes VW crash. I cannot at this point pinpoint what is causing the crash and this is not the core of the question.

If the truss is only placed in the Resource manager, and it has a error with some of the properties in the Truss properties, how do you access this dialog box? Since drawing the truss in a drawing makes VW crash, and this menu is not accessible from the resource manager.

Right click on the Truss symbol in the Resource Manager and select "Attach Record…". Highlight the Record you wish to edit, then click the "Edit values…" button. Be aware that the edited record values will not be updated in any truss instances previously created in the model.

47 minutes ago, Scott Campbell said:

Right click on the Truss symbol in the Resource Manager and select "Attach Record…". Highlight the Record you wish to edit, then click the "Edit values…" button. Be aware that the edited record values will not be updated in any truss instances previously created in the model.

No, not the record, the Truss properties that gets enabled after you attach the truss record.

image.png.42fa7811a3fedd15ab369f4b8421b852.png image.png.4cb3cbeb40ae301052225b44de3b1b19.png

Thanks for the clarification. As far as I know, the "Truss Properties" dialog can only be accessed via an instance in model (right-click on truss instance and chose from context menu). So, that brings us back to start: Vectorworks crashes when attempting to place an instance of a Truss object in the model. I think we need to troubleshoot based on the crash, and now it seems necessary to ask you to share a file with the Truss culprit, if you can, for testing. Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/13/2024 at 6:26 AM, Stefan B. said:

Since drawing the truss in a drawing makes VW crash,

We likely want a copy of this file. Having files we know will crash when repeating the same steps is gold for the programmers. Can you share?

On 3/14/2024 at 10:25 PM, Scott C. Parker said:

We likely want a copy of this file. Having files we know will crash when repeating the same steps is gold for the programmers. Can you share?

Sure, I'll make a new file and make sure it crashes. 🙂 

Give me some time and I'll reply with a file. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Laugh 1

So, i gave this a try, and could not replicate the fault. In my original attempt I made 4 custom truss symbols, and got the crash 3 out of 4 times. So was pretty sure i cold replicate it. I'm waiting to draw two or three more circle truss, when i get the data, i send a file over if VW decides to crash then.